Breaking In A New Pipe:What Actually Does It Involve?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Neerup Pipes
New Accessories
30 Fresh Brigham Pipes
3 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
3 Fresh Wojtek Pastuch Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Probably packing and smoking, with a day or two of drying out before the next smoke, is sufficient. That doesn't mean some ritual isn't a good thing, more as a celebration of a new pipe than a some sort of necessity. Some like to rub a dab of honey on the unsmoked bowl before first packing. Some like to start carbon building with partial bowls. Some like to use special, even-burning tobaccos, often old time tub tobaccos. None of this is a bad thing and builds a sense of ownership and familiarity. I have had pipes for months, maybe years, before diving in, and I think a ritual may help shorten or eliminate this reluctance to fire up a pipe. My special pipe peculiarity, shared with a few other Forums members, is that I do not build cake. I maintain only a thin carbon layer and wipe out residual ash after each smoke with a paper napkin or towel, which means I never have to ream. Most of my pipes were bought new, so I could get them on this regime. Some of my pipes are thirty or forty years old and have worn extremely well. Also, the bowls don't get smaller, which is good. But to each his/her own. Maybe you like to chant and burn incense when you light up a pipe for the first time -- if it works for you.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I've found each breaks in differently. Some need no breaking, others seem impossible. Some pipes and tobaccos simply get along better and sometimes the problem is finding the right smoke to go with the bowl!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
So the consensus is is that the break in period is a myth (unless we are talking of Peterson's pipes) which is pretty much as I suspected.
I always wondered about the questionable recommendations of some smokers (and manufacturers even) that one must smoke half bowls in a new pipe afore venturing into filling right up.
On all of my new pipes I have filled right up (leaving ~5mm headsppace) from the first smoke with no obvious negative effects.
Thanks chaps for your input...you have collectively put any concerns I may have had right into the bin...break in period? Pah!!!
Regards,
Jay.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
+1 shutterbug.

In the old days you had to smear grape jelly or honey in the bowl for the first time....lots of opinions.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Lots of opinions and theories on the correct way to break in a pipe and I'm sure some of them have good merit.
My break in process goes something like this:
Pick tobacco that I like

Fill pipe with said tobacco.

Light pipe and enjoy.

Repeat as necessary.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Jay, in my opinion Petes are most stubborn pipes to brake in, yet you are right about saying one would be better off

inspecting them physically prior buying,if not possible,my advice is to inspect them with meticulously upon receiving by mail and send right back to vendor if need be.

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
I just fill em up and smoke em. The only thing I do differently for a new pipe is smoke them all the way to the bottom and then shake the white ash around with my thumb over top to cover the bowl, pour out the excess, then leave it to rest in that state. (I do swab the stem with a pipe cleaner though) I then use a pipe cleaner to swab out the excess ash just before the next bowl goes in. I was taught to do this by my grandfather and I follow the practice with all new pipes. Can't say if it helps (because I've always done it) but I have read about others doing this procedure on the interwebs.

Status
Not open for further replies.