"Breaking In" A Briar Pipe? Fact or Fiction?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

60 Fresh Peterson Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
9 Fresh Castello Pipes
New Cigars
24 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
I think there is something to it, but it depends on the smoker and the pipe.
I suspect a few things are going on with ‘breaking in’

1. The briar was not well aged, and smoking it over a few months is actually ‘curing’ it.
2. Forming a cake sometimes improves the performance
3. The wood is no longer being charred
4. The smoker is adapting to the pipe

I have had the experience of buying a new pipe in which nothing tasted good. In fact there was almost no taste. I kept smoking it with mostly Carter Hall to see if it would change. Finally gave up after a few months consigned myself to selling it for cheap. A while later, I gave it one more try. suddenly blends started to taste great in it. It was like somebody threw a switch. During the same time, all my other pipes tasted as they always do. I think it may have finally ‘broken in.’

Of course, it could all be in our heads

Reactions: BingBong

JohnnyBeach

Lurker
May 21, 2024
I tried casting the bottom 1/3 to 1/2 of the bowl with a dab of honey where no cake had formed. So far, not a lot has happened. We'll see.
I think a lot of the unpleasant taste in that lower part of the bowl is dissipating. Again, we'll see.
Patience has always been my shortcoming.

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I think pipes are a bit like shoes. Some, they're reliably comfy from day 2, others take months before you hit the sweet spot and they become favored.

Reactions: ItsKarl

bpinkstaff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
Normally the biggest thing I've experienced is the pipe getting hot easily when it's not been "broken in" fully. I'm just more careful to keep my pace very slow until a little bit of cake starts to build and insulate the pipe walls. Most the time when I'm breaking in a new pipe I'll actually smoke two pipes at once. I'll smoke one that's fully broken in a few minutes put it down take a few Puffs on the new pipe put it down and flip flop back and forth.
Well said!

JohnnyBeach

Lurker
May 21, 2024
I just finished a pipeful in the pipe I have been working on. It lasted about 42 minutes and burned most of the tobacco except for the last 1/4 of the bowl. I did not notice very much bite and did not have to relight, so maybe things are looking up.
My wife noticed the tobacco odor when I got home. She's not happy.