PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

biloxi123

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2011
Layton, UT
Hi ladies and gents, I just got a Omar King off the bay and was surprised to find out that these pipes don't have that familiar coating on the inside of the bowl as does your standard pipes from Peterson, Savinelli, etc. Do I need to prepare the bare wood in anyway before I smoke it? I've searched the fora for tips about breaking in a new pipe but couldn't tell if it applies to pipes in which the bowl is bare wood.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
I coat the inside of a bare wood pipe with a thin coat of black strap molasses. Others say I am nutz, but I have had good results. :?

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
It's actually preferable to have a bare wood bowl. Peterson is bad about staining the inside of their bowls.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I use pipe mud made from cigar ash and water. Smear it inside the bowl; let it dry completely. Then break in the pipe by slowly increasing the amount of tobacco that you smoke each week. 1/4 for a week, then 1/2 for a weeks, 3/4...etc.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
Biloxi, I checked out an Omar King on ebay & they look like great pipes at a reasonable price. I am tempted. Enjoy & tell us how it smokes. please....Dog

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Smoke it nice and slow, hold the bowl in your hand and make sure it does not get too hot to touch, if your hand is not comfortable, you've smoked too hot :P I just load whole bowls from the start with no break in period for briars, as long as your careful you really don't need one. I just work on keeping the cake nice and thin.
*edit* - Fixed your "bowels" to "bowls" since nobody would really want to hold, much less smoke bowels. 8O -Jason

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I prefer pipes that are not precarbonated, and I do nothing different. Load it up an smoke it. 3 to 4 bowls and that pretty bare wood is all black anyway. I have tried several break in methods and have not really found them to be advantageous. Virginia's seem to put on a quick cake. Im sure most aros would cake faster but virginias make for a hard cake.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
+1 Eric
As a suggestion the first 10 bowls maybe when you get down to the heal thumb the bowl and shake the ash around before wiping it out. It will help give the bowl a nice even coat.

biloxi123

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2011
Layton, UT
Thanks for the advice guys, I decided to just go with some SWR aromatic packed like I have done with my precarbonated pipes and take it from there. I report back tomorrow on how it smokes. BTW, I haven't even heard of Omar King until I saw a YT vid by nwpipesmoker who just raved about the pipe's smokability. Many of Omar's pipes are under $50 and has visable pits in the briar, but mine was nearly flawless. Anyway, thanks again I'll let you all know how it smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.