PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's just the bowl coating, intended to keep the new smoker from burning out the bowl. I'd just wipe it out, or sand it out, and don't overheat the pipe. I prefer pipes that come with uncoated chambers, trusting me not to burn it up, which I don't.

The coating shouldn't come off, but apparently it isn't always formulated or applied correctly. I love my Petersons, but I have heard quality control complaints from time to time. Nonetheless, I think you'll enjoy your Pete. Nice heft and pleasing design.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
This isn't the porous hard pre cake forming type coating though. It's like a shellac finish type coating.
Has it been smoked? Bowl coating is not cake but only a facsimile of cake. It protects the manufacturer against hard puffers and flaws. According to Peterson Pipe Book co-author Mark Irwin, Peterson uses charcoal, gum arabic and water.

The part in focus looks like bowl coating.

But there is also a ring around the top perimeter of the bowl that's out of focus. I assume it's also bowl coating but it's hard to tell.
Brand new system deluxe. I do have to say it has one of the ugliest rustifications I've ever seen lol.
You bought a pipe that you think is ugly? Bless you!

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Has it been smoked? Bowl coating is not cake but only a facsimile of cake. It protects the manufacturer against hard puffers and flaws. According to Peterson Pipe Book co-author Mark Irwin, Peterson uses charcoal, gum arabic and water.

The part in focus looks like bowl coating.

But there is also a ring around the top perimeter of the bowl that's out of focus. I assume it's also bowl coating but it's hard to tell.

You bought a pipe that you think is ugly? Bless you!
I know it's not cake, I was talking about the coating manufacturers use to pre-carbeurize the bowls. This is very thin coating unlike a new savinelli.

Also I learned that smokingpipes.com pictures aren't as good as mine lol. Probably will be the last pipes I buy sight unseen.