PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I was wondering about the quality of different name brands. What do you guys think of brands such as Captain Black, Sir Walter Raliegh, and Prince Albert? I usually get the stuff the pipe store has in the glass jars...I guess the house blends. Alas the pipe store is far away and I sometimes have to stop by the local tobacco store. They tend to lean toward cigaretts and know little about pipe tobacco.
I know I am new here, and am posting alot. Please just understand my ignorance and love for smoking my pipe.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Many of the old time "drugstore" brands are excellent smokes. I have a bowl of Prince Albert going as I type.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
There are many e-tailers who advertise on this site. There are lots of threads on what people like in different styles of blends. I just read through them and bought 20 or so tins to try. I have a new list to order tomorrow.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Many Many Many people like those blends, as evidenced by the fact that they are sold everywhere. Try and see what you think. If your B&M (brick & mortar) pipe store is far away, then you should explore the internet for online venders. Check out the site sponsers at the bottom left hand side of the page.
Winton

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
The quality of the brands you mentioned are all good and each stands on it's on merits. Thats why they have been around for so long. Give them a try you may find one you really like. I recommend Prince Albert and any of the Capt. Black I espicially like the Royal. SWR is good also, I normally use it in place of PA if the store is out. I don't recommend the big bags of no name tobacco's as thier quality is normally low.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I don't recommend the big bags of no name tobacco's as thier quality is normally low.

I have to agree there . That is unless you have a taste for smoking colored chopped newspaper!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have to agree with Uncle Arthur.

There are some really good OTCs
Some of those Bulk OTCs like those at Wally World are not really worth the matches it would take to burn them... not to mention the gasoline it would take as well.

They may actually taste good for a few bowls.

Then they will taste like the chemistry set I had when I was a kid.
Welcome aboard Locopony.

And, don't worry about the number of posts.

We all love to answer questions.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This may violate forum policy. If so, I'll accept severe "moderating" graciously. In any event,

I recommend that you do not buy anything made or marketed by the John Middleton Company.

Pilfered from one of Kevin's posts:

middleton-retardation.gif

I would not be surprised to find this company providing financial support to the smoke nazis! :evil:

Why? Because they know smokers will continue to smoke, but they want to be legally on record

as officially discouraging smoking for when the inevitable law suits come down the pike.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
You have a 100% chance of dying. In fact, you're dying right now.
It's what's in the middle of birth and death that's important. Those warnings neglect to mention that tobacco is an herbal medicine for many maladies including auto-immune diseases (Lupus, IBS, Crohn's) and nerve damaging diseases such as RSD. Most of the prescription medications I take are MUCH more dangerous than pipe tobacco.
My Daddy likes to say "all those health nuts sure are going to feel weird laying in the hospital, dying of nothing." May as well smoke your pipe and eat some extra broccoli if you're that worried about it. ;) Then again, I'm from the Old South where you cure UTIs with beer and cranberry juice. (Drink a beer, drink a cup of cranberry juice, repeat until it doesn't hurt anymore.)

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I guess my point is how much of that stuff is propaganda. Being there is no place to get the truth. You can't believe anything even the news is convoluted, agenda driven, half truths. Thats when they don't completely ignor the truth.
You wouldn't be a Sylvia Plath fan would ya?

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
And no, not really a Plath fan. Too depressing. I'm just a realist. I know more people who have died from ATV accidents than tobacco. I just find that I can't live effectively when I worry about dying. It's like Christians who are obsessed with the apocalypse - they should be worried about the hell on earth that's going on today, not the distant future.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Cortezattic didn't realize Middleton had that policy. But, I'm too cheap to toss out the prince albert I just bought cause I ran out commuting. Guess public pressure can cause anyone to agree to anything. Still tastes good minus the bullspit they are spreading.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Very interesting article. Don't misunderstand me .... I'm just a curious cynic. Who Believes nothing the Government says, and little of what any given media source says.
I would rather gather information from many sources and make my own decision.
I am a bit of a fatalist when it comes to death, and a pragmatist on nearly everything else.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I bought a bag of baccy labeled whiskey (no other name or marks on it). The first bowl was nice it smelled good and smoked smooth. Later I tried another bowl full.....It burned my tongue and tasted like flaming amonia. I got rid of it and my tongue is still roasted. I tried cleaning out my pipe I hope it worked....I haven't smoked yet this morning because the ill effects are still upon me.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I think I am going to start a campaign against the only sure cause of death...birth. I figure only the anti's will jump on the bandwagon (since, you know, thats what they like to do), and in a few decades, our problem will solve itself...

Status
Not open for further replies.