PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Do Americans do Boxing Day?? If you don't know what it is, here is a bit of history.
In Britain, it was a custom for tradesmen to collect "Christmas boxes" of money or presents on the first weekday after Christmas as thanks for good service throughout the year. This custom is linked to an older English tradition: Since they would have to wait on their masters on Christmas Day, the servants of the wealthy were allowed the next day to visit their families. The employers would give each servant a box to take home containing gifts and bonuses, and sometimes leftover food.
NOW, we celebrate by shopping!! It is basically Canada's version of Black Friday. The biggest deals of the year happen on Boxing day.
SO! What are you getting??
I'm in the market for a new watch. I've had this one for the last 10 years, has held yup nice, but would like an updated one.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Do Americans do Boxing Day?? If you don't know what it is, here is a bit of history.

No we don't. I'm sure there are a few who celebrate it, but you don't get vacation time for it. I'm not even sure its on our calenders. And I'm pretty sure if I asked my friends, none of them would have heard of it. Thanks for the info, I had no idea what it was about.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I should have read the post before commenting instead of after. As far as I know there aren't Boxing Day Specials like on black Friday, but lots of things do go on sale after Christmas.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I'm in Texas but am a Brit, so I do boxing day, but I think all my servants must have already left.

Status
Not open for further replies.