PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I was thinking and out of curiosity, has anyone calculated, or followed how many bowls of tobacco a 2oz tin of tobacco will fill?
I understand there are factors such as bowl size and how a person packs, but that's not that important. Just an average.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
may have to start keeping records bootleg.

use one pipe per tin and count. smoking each bowl doesnt count.

just fill and dump into a jar. or line up a bunch of shot glasses.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
"Mr. Owl. How many bowls does it take to get to the bottom of a tobacco tin?" The world may never know.
Seriously though, I've heard most bowls average between 3-5 grams depending on the dimensions. So my guess would be in the neighborhood of 10-15 bowls per 50 gram tin depending on the factors involved with the bowl dimensions ofcourse.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
"Mr. Owl. How many bowls does it take to get to the bottom of a tobacco tin?" The world may never know.
Seriously though, I've heard most bowls average between 3-5 grams depending on the dimensions. So my guess would be in the neighborhood of 10-15 bowls per 50 gram tin depending on the factors involved with the bowl dimensions ofcourse.
Had a chuckle at the tootsierollpop reference :lol:
10-15 is right on the money, give or take. I am to understand that the slow smoke competition circuit (can I even call it that?) uses 3.3g at the international level and 3g at the national level (had this discussion with a fellow from the pipe club regarding the Chicago show competition). Personally I tend to smoke smaller-chambered bowls and I average 21-24 per tin. There's also at least a bowl or three's difference between a 50g tin and a 2ouncer (thanks C&D!)

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I now use the same units of measure that romeowood does. I was given the pipe for the Chicago Show's Slow Smoke and for the comp I was given 3 grams of tobacco and it filled the pipe to the rim with my packing style, so now I know how to gauge my tobacco usage. I get about 10-12 bowls out of a 50 gram tin.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Thanks Romeo and Bubba. While lining up shot glasses is definitely not out of the picture, I was hoping to accomplish a number while sober, lol.
Wow, so putting that into place, we spend about $.75-1.25 per bowl. Which happened to be my guesstimate cost without running any numbers at all. That's also depending on cost of the tin. Just for tickles and giggles, I might have to create a spreadsheet on this.
Or...I'll just smoke mine and get a few shot glasses.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
No spreadsheets! Next thing you know, I'll have turned it into a graph with a cost analysis, frequency of smoking, what pipes are used most in the rotation with what tobacco and an "enjoyment ratio" to determine the actual worth of a tobacco.
You forget your wife has an Excel addiction. Let's stick to shot glasses. ;)

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Great idea Cyndi. We can develop a research plan and perform a cost analysis study. (I need to get out more.....)
:crazy:

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Somewhere in the vicinity of 10 bowls sounds right for me too - I started keeping track last week, when I realized that I was burning through a fourth tin of 3OS; made me wonder.
Of course, every rule has an exception. My exception is Tambolaka. I am pretty sure a whole tin would stretch through hundreds of bowls, 'cause the little turd I got in the mail seems to last forever.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
cyndi, lets apply for a research grant.... we'll buy up a shtload of pipes n tobacco with it n sit around all day smoking pipes doing "research".....
beats the hell outa what some of the research money goes into...

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I actually did make a spreadsheet of my pips to try and figure out how much they hold, and yes, I am an engineer.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
ffffffffffffffffffacinating
ok ok, how many shots in a quart of everclear that ACTUALLY get used cleaning your pipes, tobacco pipes smart ass, not the pipe that's in your hand all the time...and, how many shots are left in the bottle?

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
In my experience, I'm leaning more towards 15-20 bowls versus 10-15.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.