PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Hello all,

I am only half loading my pipes but I still find a bowl can last me about 40 mins.

I'm not a very slow smoker and infact probably need to slow down if anything, but not if it takes too long!

The problem being if I load up a full pipe I never get to finish it and because I don't get much opportunity to light up the remainder of the bowl goes too dry.

I wonder if the problem is my packing, yet I pack fairly loose and always have a nice open draw.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
@snewton, i tend to go back to my pipe after a couple of hours. I cannot smoke in a clients house so sometimes I will put it aside and come back hours later and have never had any trouble. If it's a taste issue try putting a cleaner in your pipe while you put it aside it takes the bitterness out of the intial light. Worth a try anyway.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
^^^ +1 dervis.
Shallow bowls of an inch or just over are the only ones I can smoke quick. Like a bulldog shape. And if it's breezy the thick walls handle the heat.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
My bulldog is my favourite pipe at the mo! Only had it 2 weeks.

Handmade Blakemar briar. I don't suppose you will be too familiar with Blakemar over the pond in the US but they make pipes by hand in a small workshop over here in the UK. Great quality and amazing prices! Definitely better than my Petersons etc.My best smoker for sure

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
And no, there is only one thing goes in my cereal bowl, and that's beans! :p

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I don't know if this is any help to you, but my Peterson System 31 is a 30-45 min smoke depending on what tobacco is in it.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I though about a pocket pipe but I heard they smoke a bit hot and I'm already a little bit of a hot smoker.

when I say I have to leave some I mean for possibly several days as I don't get much down time to enjoy a pipe. I have been reading up and I'm beginning to think my problem may be not throwing the ash enough, so I'm possibly sitting relighting tobacco that is already used up. Possibly...

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I am skeptical, snewton... You should be able to tell if you are smoking ash.
I would just get a Stanwell Featherweight or a Savinelli Pocket pipe or something along those lines.
Save your Blakemar bulldog for when you have more time.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Simenon- I know what you mean it sounds odd, that's the mystery. I don't mean ash, I just mean I may only be getting weak lights through the ash. Hell I don't know what I mean! All I know is a full bowl will easily last me nearly 2 hours even with a smallish pipe and I'm a fairly hot smoker. I understand your scepticism, it just doesn't make sense! And I only get the odd half hour or so every few days. Im not really complaining, I just don't want to wast good tobacco!

Status
Not open for further replies.