PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
How many a day has already been asked, however, what size do you smoke? Does a large bowl count as two small ones? I've found that a large bowl of Penzance for example lasts nearly two hours. If I smoke a small bowl frequently I'm not satisfied and I refill for a second round. So what's your actual count? I find that a shy one hour bowl is just a tease requiring a refill encore smoke.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm not a heavy smoker and tend to smoke a lot of flakes so I usually buy pipes that are around a Dunhill group 3 and smaller. I steadily sip at my pipe rather than puff puff puff so a folded and stuffed flake in a group 3 can sometimes last over an hour for me

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
All straights for me too, with heavy emphasis on the billiards and Canadians. I started with many bent Pete Systems, that have all been traded away now, I kept one bent that I smoke, rarely.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I started this post with the intention of learning what constitutes "a bowl" for the sake of a daily count. Insofar as straight or bent, I'm about 50/50. Always a straight when I'm lounging in a horizontal position and frequently a bent when I'm up and about such as now while keyboarding. I'm a clencher so the bent pipe hangs comfortably especially if it's one of my large oom pauls. Now, for example, I'm on my second bowl in my new estate pipe this time it's a mix of C&D Engine99 and Partagas cigar leaf.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I pick up and put down pipes alot. Some days I smoke in one sitting, other days it takes all day to smoke that pipe out.
I guess it depends on what all else I have going on.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I tend toward smaller to medium chambers, generally around a group 3 to 4-ish. My outliers are 3 pipes around a group 1, and 1 pipe around a group 5 (mainly due to the previous owner's over zealous reaming). I have been wanting a stacked billiard, however, for those days when I want to spend a good long time with some VA flakes.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I tend toward medium size bowls... for the most part.

But, I love a good little bowl of PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake (for example) because the coins are suited and sized for a small bowl.

Also, in a like vein... I love a good old Stuff and Puff of Lane's 1-Q in my big old Nordings.

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
i have small to medium bowls, now whether it's the roundness of tobacco chamber in my parker i don't know but it appears larger. As i have mentioned before i prefer large bowls and count them as a single bowl. When i smoke my peterson full bent it can last upto an hour or so the bigger the bowl the longer the smoke the less tobacco i use. Maybe i'm being cost effective but that's me.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
I have yet to acquire any large bowled pipes. For now, small to medium size bowls are working, though I have my eye on a nice big bowled bulldog.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I own and smoke every size from a Peterson Belgique (very small) to a GBD Collector (OMG that's huge size) .All depends on my mood and what I feel like smoking at that moment. I tend to keep a pipe going all the time I am up and awake. Sleep smoking I haven't figured out yet.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Sleep smoking I haven't figured out yet.

Let us know when you master that one, Uncle A--you'll have bested Mark Twain at last! :rofl:

As an example to others, and not that I care for moderation myself, it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain from smoking when awake. -- Mark Twain

Status
Not open for further replies.