PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jop

Lurker
Jun 27, 2024
I got my granduncles pipe about half a year ago. He has used it a lot. But i noticed some chips and damages in the walls of the bowl. Can someone please tell me how severe this is, if it will fix itself or if there's a way I can repair this.
1000007597.jpg1000007595.jpgi couldn't really get any better pictures then this

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

jop

Lurker
Jun 27, 2024
Tough to tell given the blurriness of the photos, but seeing the lava built up on the rim suggests little or no maintenance was done. That’s probably just cake inside with some chipping.
What would you suggest to do? I went to my local tobacco shop. And the man there (not a pipe smoker) told me the best thing to do was scrape the inside with a not to sharp object, and that it's days are numbered. Is this true?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
What would you suggest to do? I went to my local tobacco shop. And the man there (not a pipe smoker) told me the best thing to do was scrape the inside with a not to sharp object, and that it's days are numbered. Is this true?

It’s not necessarily damaged, but your pictures make it difficult to assess. Many pipe smokers want a layer of cake to be built up—it provides a layer of insulation that can protect the chamber. A pipe knife usually has a rounded end to prevent gouging the chamber.

Depending on where you are located, you could send the pipe to a professional restorer and have the pipe cleaned up if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Are you looking to smoke the pipe? Do you just want to clean it up to display? Is the stem damaged?

Reactions: jop

jop

Lurker
Jun 27, 2024
It’s not necessarily damaged, but your pictures make it difficult to assess. Many pipe smokers want a layer of cake to be built up—it provides a layer of insulation that can protect the chamber. A pipe knife usually has a rounded end to prevent gouging the chamber.

Depending on where you are located, you could send the pipe to a professional restorer and have the pipe cleaned up if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Are you looking to smoke the pipe? Do you just want to clean it up to display? Is the stem damaged?
1000007603.jpg
For this one the damage is visible lower into the bowl
1000007601.jpg
Here it's visible in the wall1000007606.jpgand a different angle of the same part of the wall as the last picture.
I hope these are better

I'm located in the Netherlands, a quick Google search didn't really have any results except some pipe tobacco places, maybe I should call some to see if they do restoration.

I have smoked this pipe (one pouch of tobacco in total) and am planning on smoking this pipe for as long as I can keep it alive. The history of it means a lot to me and my granduncle (the brother of the original owner). The stem looks and smokes perfectly fine, although the mouthpiece gets pretty hot sometimes.

Thanks for the help by the way, it means a lot to me!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
That just looks like a thick build up of carbon cake. I personally like this tool for scraping cake out of estate (used) pipes:

I didn’t see it on the EU site, only the US one. It must be used with care, because you can scrape the wood if you’re not careful. You might be better off getting a wood dowel and wrapping some sandpaper around it to reduce the build up. Just be mindful not to grind away any of the rim.

I’m sure others here will chime in with suggestions. We have some members in the Netherlands that might be able to recommend someone to clean the pipe.

jop

Lurker
Jun 27, 2024
That just looks like a thick build up of carbon cake. I personally like this tool for scraping cake out of estate (used) pipes:

I didn’t see it on the EU site, only the US one. It must be used with care, because you can scrape the wood if you’re not careful. You might be better off getting a wood dowel and wrapping some sandpaper around it to reduce the build up. Just be mindful not to grind away any of the rim.

I’m sure others here will chime in with suggestions. We have some members in the Netherlands that might be able to recommend someone to clean the pipe.
Thanks man 🙏 you've been a massive help. I'll do some more research on pipe cleaners in my area

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’m not seeing any exterior damage, like cracks in the bowl, so I’m not sure what the tobacconist is going on about.
TheIronMonkey is spot on. Clean away the cake, gently, and get as close to the wood as possible without scraping into it.
Then you can see if there are fissures in the walls of the chamber.
If there cracks, there are things you can do to stabilize it and enjoy your pipe for decades to come.

Reactions: anotherbob and jop

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Problem solved

jop

Lurker
Jun 27, 2024
I’m not seeing any exterior damage, like cracks in the bowl, so I’m not sure what the tobacconist is going on about.
TheIronMonkey is spot on. Clean away the cake, gently, and get as close to the wood as possible without scraping into it.
Then you can see if there are fissures in the walls of the chamber.
If there cracks, there are things you can do to stabilize it and enjoy your pipe for decades to come.
Thanks for the response, you give me hope this isn't the end for my granduncles pipe. I found a pipe museum not too far away from me, they also sell restored pipes. Im gonna visit them and see what they think and maybe if they can restore it.

Reactions: sablebrush52

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
From what I see, that pipe, cared for, can last so you can hand it down. Good luck!

And I personally don't think one needs a special tool for occasional reaming. Mileage varies.

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
This looks like a cake build up to me too.
It honestly is not difficult to scrape yourself.
I use a sharp, thin knife.....a Buck Stockman.
I hold the blade edge directly against the bowl side.
In other words, dont use the knife like you would be whittling a stick.
Use it as a scraper.
Then just slowly scrape away the crispy, shiny stuff.
If you do not use too much pressure, you won't hurt the wood.....briar is tough.
Even if you were to gouge the wood a bit, no big deal at all....future cake will fill it in.
Just work at it slowly, it will be fine.
You will know when you hit wood.
Then you can use sandpaper to smooth it all out to bare wood and start your own build up of cake.
Ive done this with dozens of pipes and I started with zero "trainning".
The only time I slightly damaged a pipe was using a Butner pipe reamer. :)
That was my fault, not the reamers!
Or, skip the knife and just use sandpaper. It will take longer but way less chance of damaging anything.

Reactions: jop and jpmcwjr

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
View attachment 320424
Here's a full picture of the pipe.
It's a great looking pipe! The tall, thin bowl will be a challenge to a new pipe smoker (I just left a little information in response to a "specific pipe" question if you want to look it up). They're also a challenge to ream. Let a pro show you first time, or at least youtube "ream a pipe."