PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyj

Lurker
Dec 6, 2012
I won this pipe off ebay, and had performed the salt alcohol treatment. Not sure of this hairline crack was before and I did not see it, or if it was caused by the treatment. Can this treatment exert pressure such to cause a crack?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
If there was a weak spot and you packed the salt in tight, it could happen. I am more inclined to think the shank would crack rather than the bowl though.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Could you post a pic? There' a lot of folks on here who can give you more insight with pics...

drpipe

Lurker
Mar 12, 2012
Iran
I treat some mybriar pipes with this way,not problem occur,all of them not crack any time.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Sometimes the moisture is enough to cause a crack if there is a flaw in the wood of the pipe. Everytime you do this treatment on a pipe, there is always this chance. After a treatment, I had a pipe develop multiple small cracks on the bottom of the bowl once and that was not purchased from Ebay. Once you smoke or treat an estate pipe like that, it's yours and can not usually be returned unless there is a really nice return policy on it.

sammyj

Lurker
Dec 6, 2012
This little crack is on both sides!
IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
To be honest that doesn't look like a crack from salt/alcohol.
1. The crack is on the outside

2. There are 2 cracks on either side that are like drawn on a line, and quite straight.
Looks more to me like what a knife or a long sharp edge would do?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
The main crack was on the outside only, does not look like it would be from salt and alcohol, it probabley came that way and you didn't notice it. You can also draw a straight line from it to the other one, very curious.
How much did you pay for the pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.