PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JLD66

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2020
West Kentucky
Once a pipe has a thin layer of cake I use a brass bore brush (45cal) to clean the bowl out. It keeps the existing cake smooth and stops further cake from building up. Existing cake keeps brush from scratching briar. Works great on cobs also. My personal preference is very little cake. Been doing this for some time now.

Reactions: Spavilla

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I usually just stir the ash and dump it. Blow across the top of the bowl and set it down. A paper towel, or microfiber cloth after it’s dried out.

if there’s bits of stuff stuck to the side of the bowl it doesn’t worry me. After about 50-75 bowls I might even it out with some 200 grit sandpaper.

It’s just a pipe... not rocket science. Just fill it and smoke it!

Reactions: carlomarx and BROBS

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
View attachment 38629Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology. Is Chamber Brush more appropriate?
It does not look like many have tried this so why not give it some time and let us know how it’s working for you? It seems to me to be a pretty good idea on paper and I clean my shank brushes with some alcohol and water and they are like brand new again.

I don’t see this affecting the break in of the pipe any more (and maybe less) than using a paper towel that a few here use.

Personally I ream/trim my pipes back every few months and don’t worry about cake.

I always wondered what these brushes were for!

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
To me the discussion is foo-foo. There's really nothing more to say other than that when you feel the cake is too thick, ream it. Cake is a n00b obsession.
With all due respect, last time I checked this was the Basic & Beginners forum. You should keep in mind your comments might be construed as intimidating for some beginners. Name calling beginners or calling their questions "foo-foo" and "noob obessions" doesn't elevate your status or make people feel very welcome. Also, to clarify my question was the effect of bowl cleaning on break-in so your comments don't even really apply. If you are not able to share the benefit of your experience, perhaps the "Basics & Beginners" forum is not a good place for you.

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
It does not look like many have tried this so why not give it some time and let us know how it’s working for you? It seems to me to be a pretty good idea on paper and I clean my shank brushes with some alcohol and water and they are like brand new again.

I don’t see this affecting the break in of the pipe any more (and maybe less) than using a paper towel that a few here use.

Personally I ream/trim my pipes back every few months and don’t worry about cake.

I always wondered what these brushes were for!
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I will keep you posted!

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
I apologize for posting about business that was not mine.
Sometimes the venerable and wise can understandably forget how tenuous their first steps were on the path to proficiency, especially if those steps occurred a long time ago.
I have found a kind and gentle hand produces the best results. We all possess a common goal here, the enjoyment of pipe and leaf and sharing that joy in a community environment. This forum can be enriched by your extensive experience and I look forward to your positive guidance in the future.