PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
I've just ordered some Jim Beam Double Oak Bourbon to add to my ever increasing bourbon & whisky collection and wondered if American bourbon makers are following in the steps of makers of Scotch in putting no age statements on their bottles or has it always been that way in the States

It would be interesting to know how long the spirit has aged so as like for like comparisons could be made.

The blurb says this......

Jim Beam Double Oak is matured it in not one, but two new charred American white oak barrels. When transferred to second, charred oak barrel we allow the bourbon greater contact with the flavour-giving, deeply charred wood – yielding a premium and intense yet smooth taste.

….but no comment on how many years for either barrelling.

Regards,

Jay.

Jay,

A bourbon's age has never been a thing here. Unfortunately, we live in a era where bourbon is the "hot" thing in spirits and the more excitement the more marketeers need to find ways to separate the public from their coin. As a result, we see the growing use of age statements as an indicator of "quality," or, more optimistically, "exclusivity." Pappy Van Winkle is the poster child for this sort of nonsense.

It is worth noting, as some others have done, that age statements on bourbon are rarer these days because of the pressure the industry is under to make more and more product, leading to less and less long term aging.

Then there's the blending thing. Unless the label says "Single Barrel," you're guaranteed to be drinking a blended bourbon. This is done, as with malt whisky, to achieve a consistent product but it wrecks the age statement game because any age listed will be for the youngest spirit in the mix.

Bourbon is all about the mash bill. That's why real bourbon aficionados can pick out Jim Beam products, for instance, in a blind tasting. Single barrel options are also worth exploring, but, just like their Scottish cousins, they will vary from year to year.

My suggestion would be to focus on the distiller. If you like Beam products, explore all they have to offer. When you check off all the products from one distiller, move on to another. That should keep you busy for a while and you could do far worse! Oh! You can skip everything made outside of Kentuky or Jack Daniels and George Dickel from Tennessee. Those Johnny-come-latelys are all products of the bourbon craze and will fade away as the bourbon tide inevitably recedes.

Pro tip of the week...try Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond and Evan Williams Bottled in Bond. :col:

Cheers,

Chili

Reactions: mawnansmiff

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Anyone know a good mint julep recipe using Southern Comfort?

Sorry for the rabbit trail. I just got a bottle for some planned mint juleps tomorrow under the mistaken idea that a traditional mint julep was made with Southern Comfort instead of Bourbon. Southern Comfort is made from Bourbon anyway.

Both our neighbors (and fellow porch partiers) and ourselves have mint growing. The neighbor has a few varieties.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana

Sorry for the rabbit trail. I just got a bottle for some planned mint juleps tomorrow under the mistaken idea that a traditional mint julep was made with Southern Comfort instead of Bourbon. Southern Comfort is made from Bourbon anyway.

Both our neighbors (and fellow porch partiers) and ourselves have mint growing. The neighbor has a few varieties.
I don’t. I’d skip or go very lightly on the sugar if you’re using Southern Comfort though. That stuff is sweet as it is. Might make muddling the mint tough with no sugar, though.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017

Davek,

Ask and ye shall receive....

Preface: The Mint Julip is awesome, in flavor, medicinal effect upon the soul, and in strength. Be prepared.
Step 1. Do not use Southern Comfort. It is a sticky sweet, flavored concoction and wholly unsuitable for julips.
Step 2. Get a good bottle of bourbon, 90 or 100 proof is preferred. (Woodford Reserve is a good go to)
Step 3. Gather up 1.5 to 2 cups of mint. Spearmint is traditional but other varieties will do. Try to avoid peppermint as it is a little overpowering.
Step 4. Place up to 8 derby cups or double old fashioned glasses into the freezer. These need to be fairly substantial volume wise, like 10 to 12 ounce.
Step 5. Make mint simple syrup. Combine 2 cups of water, 2 cups of sugar( light brown, turbinado, or, in a pinch white sugar), and 1/2 cup coarsely chopped mint leaves in a pot and simmer over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside to steep and cool until room temperature, about 1 hour. Once cool, strain into a small pitcher.
Step 6. While the syrup is cooling, make a mountain of crushed ice. And, by "crushed" I mean like snow cone ice.
Step 7. When your syrup is room temperature, strained and ready to go, quickly retrieve your frozen drinking vessels, fill each with crushed ice, add 4 ounces of bourbon, and 4 ounces of syrup. Garnish with fresh mint sprigs and serve on a silver platter. (If there are ladies present, you can insert straws into their glasses, just take care to trim the straws so they are just taller than the glass they're in.)
Step 8. Sit back and enjoy.
Step 9. Repeat as necessary.

Cheers,

Chili

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Davek,

Ask and ye shall receive....

Preface: The Mint Julip is awesome, in flavor, medicinal effect upon the soul, and in strength. Be prepared.
Step 1. Do not use Southern Comfort. It is a sticky sweet, flavored concoction and wholly unsuitable for julips.
Step 2. Get a good bottle of bourbon, 90 or 100 proof is preferred. (Woodford Reserve is a good go to)
Step 3. Gather up 1.5 to 2 cups of mint. Spearmint is traditional but other varieties will do. Try to avoid peppermint as it is a little overpowering.
Step 4. Place up to 8 derby cups or double old fashioned glasses into the freezer. These need to be fairly substantial volume wise, like 10 to 12 ounce.
Step 5. Make mint simple syrup. Combine 2 cups of water, 2 cups of sugar( light brown, turbinado, or, in a pinch white sugar), and 1/2 cup coarsely chopped mint leaves in a pot and simmer over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside to steep and cool until room temperature, about 1 hour. Once cool, strain into a small pitcher.
Step 6. While the syrup is cooling, make a mountain of crushed ice. And, by "crushed" I mean like snow cone ice.
Step 7. When your syrup is room temperature, strained and ready to go, quickly retrieve your frozen drinking vessels, fill each with crushed ice, add 4 ounces of bourbon, and 4 ounces of syrup. Garnish with fresh mint sprigs and serve on a silver platter. (If there are ladies present, you can insert straws into their glasses, just take care to trim the straws so they are just taller than the glass they're in.
Step 8. Sit back and enjoy.
Step 9. Repeat as necessary.

Cheers,

Chili
This is the right way. ?
FWIW, traditional julep cups are pewter. They get nice and cold in the freezer.

Reactions: chilipalmer
Status
Not open for further replies.