PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Would this be a good place to ask about my Charatan? I didn't realize that Charatan were a big deal until reading this thread.

A friend and I saw this estate pipe in a pipe store in Coeur d'Alene, and he told me to buy it. I didn't. 9 months later, I took a detour on the way to Vancouver and bought the pipe which was still there!
I found the pipe-pedia website on identification of Charatan's but it left me confused.

I believe the C enters the P
DSC_0219~3.JPG

No DC or X
DSC_0215~2.JPG

No £
DSC_0213~2.JPG

2 lines
DSC_0214~2.JPG

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
I still have the Crayola white and gold wax sticks from the 1980s that I found when I visited the empty Upshall factory in 2018 in a draw along with other stuff from my past which had been untouched since 1989!
It's a bit strange the Upshall website is still online. (But not updated). May be Moty's son run the buisiness now?

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Would this be a good place to ask about my Charatan? I didn't realize that Charatan were a big deal until reading this thread.
This is a Charatan Salisbury shape in a group 3 (373). Judging from the depth etc of the sandblasting it looks like it is from around 1967. It does need some TLC and the mouthpiece would need replacing. The mouthpiece was a little longer than in the photo. This brochure came out in approximately 1965. In 1967 the shape numbers included the size which became the first numeral - so this shape became a 373 (group 3). You can see the shape on the third row down.
bcharatan3.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Kottan and rajangan

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
This is a Charatan Salisbury shape in a group 3 (373). Judging from the depth etc of the sandblasting it looks like it is from around 1967. It does need some TLC and the mouthpiece would need replacing. The mouthpiece was a little longer than in the photo. This brochure came out in approximately 1965. In 1967 the shape numbers included the size which became the first numeral - so this shape became a 373 (group 3). You can see the shape on the third row down.
View attachment 41398
Thank you very much. Mystery solved. You're right, the stem was longer when I got it. That extra part was thinner and didn't contend well with my teeth.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
These are the seller's photos...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Typically peculiar Charatan shape resulting in a oh! so lovely pipe! The wood the wood!

Reactions: donjgiles
Status
Not open for further replies.