PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Always wanted to get a Rueben era Charatan straight billiard, but couldnt find one.
Two days ago, I saw a listing and couldnt say no.

Seller says its Rueben Era, shape # is 180.
Length is 5 1/2
Chamber depth is 1 1/2
So approximately a Dunhill group size 2.

What do you think?
Any infos on the shape # 180?

Pictures are from the listing on Ebay.
20200827_144952.jpg

20200827_145040.jpg

20200827_145101.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Group 2's on the rack, and I like some of the old glossy finish pipes too. That looks like it is good to clench and in primo condition. The finish reminds me of a Gianni my sister bought for me in Rotterdam, though that is a bent billiard.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Always wanted to get a Rueben era Charatan straight billiard, but couldnt find one.

Length is 5 1/2
Chamber depth is 1 1/2

What do you think?

View attachment 41000

View attachment 41001

View attachment 41002
Nice Charatan!
The shape # 180 is pictured in the 1951 catalouge
(s. sceenshot). I just wanted a 180 too but there was a higher bid than mine.
Screenshot_2020-08-27-16-28-43.png

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

Length is 5 1/2
Chamber depth is 1 1/2

What do you think?

View attachment 41000

View attachment 41001

View attachment 41002
yeesh.. quite overbuffed with a very thick layer of wax to try to hide all the dings?
I hope it was reasonably priced.
though I'm sure this won't hurt the smoking any.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
I like Group 2's on the rack, and I like some of the old glossy finish pipes too. That looks like it is good to clench and in primo condition. The finish reminds me of a Gianni my sister bought for me in Rotterdam, though that is a bent billiard.

Sorry, I made a mistake.
It actually corresponds to Dunhill group size 3.
Which is fine as well.
Thats the maximum size I am ready to go, in regards of classic British pipes.

Nice Charatan!
The shape # 180 is pictured in the 1951 catalouge
(s. sceenshot). I just wanted a 180 too but there was a higher bid than mine.
View attachment 41005

Thank you! Very interesting that this was considered large.
I would love to get the smallest
size Charatan billiard as well.

yeesh.. quite overbuffed with a very thick layer of wax to try to hide all the dings?
I hope it was reasonably priced.
though I'm sure this won't hurt the smoking any.

Well, I dont mind the wax.
Not sure if it was a good price or not, but its very hard to find a Rueben Era Charatan pipe nowadays.
And if you find one, its in really bad condition.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
And if you find one, its in really bad condition.
I wouldn't say this one is very good. The stem appears deeply oxidized and buffed over many times. See how much smaller it is than the shank already?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I have two old Mountbattens, which I understand were made by Charatan apprentices, and they are excellent pipes. Quite a bit better all around than firsts from many makers today. They are both constructed with great drilling and no fills, and pretty attractive grain as well.

And yes, that Charatan has got some dings and the stem is overpolished, but if it were my pipe and I really liked smoking it, I would not object to having a replacement / replica stem made by a skilled craftsman. It's a 70+ year old piece of rubber, so you can expect issues.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have two old Mountbattens, which I understand were made by Charatan apprentices, and they are excellent pipes. Quite a bit better all around than firsts from many makers today. They are both constructed with great drilling and no fills, and pretty attractive grain as well.

And yes, that Charatan has got some dings and the stem is overpolished, but if it were my pipe and I really liked smoking it, I would not object to having a replacement / replica stem made by a skilled craftsman. It's a 70+ year old piece of rubber, so you can expect issues.
this is true.. didn't even think of just getting a replacement!

Reactions: lawdawg
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Length is 5 1/2
Chamber depth is 1 1/2

What do you think?

View attachment 41000

View attachment 41001

View attachment 41002
Congrats my friend, this is a sweet pipe .
The Reuben Era Charatan's are amongst my favourites.
This is a De Luxe one and there are not too many of them.
Admitted ; the stem is somewhat overpolished, but the logo is still clear.

ENJOY !

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019

I dont mind the issues.
I also bought a Comoys pipes from the 50s in similar condition and it is pretty good.
Replacing the stem , would kill the authenticity of the pipe for me.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Congrats my friend, this is a sweet pipe .
The Reuben Era Charatan's are amongst my favourites.
This is a De Luxe one and there are not too many of them.
Admitted ; the stem is somewhat overpolished, but the logo is still clear.

ENJOY !

A small Charatan is a rarity, so you were probably smart to grab it even with the aforementioned issues, they just don't pop up often. Those dings will most likely easily steam out, if you were so inclined. I suspect the seller was right on the era.

Thank you gentlemen.
Yes, its the first time I saw a Charatan rueben era straight billiard in a relatively good, restored condition.
An the price (125 USD) was ok for me.
So I got it.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
That’s a nice looking pipe! And I like that it’s a group 3 billiard.

I’d say you got a good deal at $125.

As far as the stem goes, there appears to be a slight amount of wear at the junction, nothing I’d get too bent outta shape about. Appears to be some minor chipping at the edge. If it was me I’d just cut it back slightly.

It’s a 60+ year old pipe that was smoked... I wouldn’t expect it to look like it just came out of the box.

Congrats on your first Charatan.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Yes, nice piece with the original mouthpiece. You can remove the wax, I normally use alcohol to clean the outside of the bowl and mouthpiece. This can also help clean the stamping on the shank and make it crisper. I would then rub the Cp logo with a white Crayola wax crayon and wipe off the excess just like Reuben used to do! :)

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Yes, nice piece with the original mouthpiece. You can remove the wax, I normally use alcohol to clean the outside of the bowl and mouthpiece. This can also help clean the stamping on the shank and make it crisper. I would then rub the Cp logo with a white Crayola wax crayon and wipe off the excess just like Reuben used to do! :)
Ken, which kind of alcohol do you use for it, ethanol or isopropyl and how much %? I wonder if the alcohol would dissolve the stain?.

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Ken, which kind of alcohol do you use for it, ethanol or isopropyl and how much %? I wonder if the alcohol would dissolve the stain?.
To the best of my knowledge DeLuxe pipes were not stained.
Crayola wax never worked for me, it does not "stick" to the ebonite.
I fill logos a with liquid paper pen .
Tamiya ( model kits ) plastic putty works even better, it can be dilluted with aceton.
Only a little ; once applied it is very stubborn and the excess needs to be sanded off, for wich I use nail buffers

Last edited:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Everclear or rubbing alcohol, it doesn’t really matter. It’s a pipe, not a precision Swiss watch... you might get a little stain that shows up on the rag, but it’s unlikely.

If the stummel was buffed and polished, then it will have a glossy appearance. If that’s wax, just smoke it. The wax will heat up dull and come off anyways...

I use a China marking pencil to fill in logo stamps. Cover the logo and area around it and rub with your fingers. Lightly buff with a soft cloth to remove excess.

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Status
Not open for further replies.