PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
After reading several postings about lighters, I decided to go true blue, retro and bought a Zippo lighter with the pipe insert. http://www.zippo.com/product.aspx?id=1023771. I got mine new on eBay for 15.00. As for the lighter fluid taste - NONE. Once in a while I can smell the lighter fluid and when I do, I just wait a second or two. Strong flame, easy to refill when needed and much cheaper then disposables. Plus that distinctive Zippo "click."

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I used a Zippo for quite a long time. I don't care for it with really light tasting Virginia's as it does off the flavor there a little to me. however for stronger tobacco or latakia blends it does great. Just be sure to buy Zippo fuel, don't go cheap and buy the Ronson brand. That stuff is extremely off in flavor.

B

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Zippo is pretty much all I use every day. I had one with the pipe insert, but lost it. Never liked it anyways. When I take a trip, I use a bic because it will easily last me 3 weeks.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
My wife just bought me a Zippo pipe lighter, I will post a pic of it, I love it. I had a Vector pipe lighter that was pretty decent but seemed to wear out quickly.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
I use a zippo pipe lighter or match to save the rims of my Savinelli 305's. The way you draw the flame down into the bowl with one is perfect for me. Being new to the game though I have to watch that much available heat or I'll get bitten every time. I can't see springing for anything else, love em.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I bought a Zippo with the pipe insert off of eBay as well and I use it almost exclusively when I'm lighting my pipes. I guess I've gotten a little lazy when it comes to having to mess with matches (the only time I still use matches is at Civil War reenactments or if I happen to run out of lighter fluid). I always use the Zippo lighter fluid in the black can and I've never had a problem with it interfering with the tobacco flavor. As others have said, occasionally when I first strike it I'll get a slight fuel odor but I just let it burn off before lighting the tobacco.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on what Bob said about the Zippo (Premium) fuel in the black can – it's low odor, Angelo taste. Let it burn for a second after you lighted, and you most likely won't notice any taste at all unless you're very sensitive to that sort of thing. I like using the zippo because it burns about 1000° cooler than butane fuel, and only slightly hotter than a match. This protects my rims and bowls, while ensuring that the tobacco doesn't get so hot that it burns up all the volatile flavor components. Plus the good news about Zippos, they last practically forever, and if they don't, the company will fix them for free – that is, if it's a genuine Zippo. Plenty of cheap knockoffs out there.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have 2 Zippos, one was converted to the butane insert - not really wild about that one. Give me the good old wick and flint style everyday.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Zippo with pipe insert here too. The regular insert works also but it really heats the thing up. Zippo will convert any of the regular-body (not slim) to the pipe insert for free if you send it back to them. Also use the Zippo fuel in the black can, let it burn a second, and never an after taste that I can detect. The only time I don't use a Zippo is when I travel by plane, I never check luggage and I don't want to take the chance some TSA person will confiscate it even if I flick the wheel a dozen times to prove it's empty. So I just buy a disposible at the first place I can find when I get to where I'm going.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
I always use wood matches, but with the weather and wind where I live I really should be looking into getting a zippo.
I have one without the pipe insert that I use from time to time, but it is really difficult without that pre-drilled hole to use correctly :lol:

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I use mine whenever im outside. Works well while walking or when the wind is blowing. I use other lighters when inside.

dranger75

Lurker
Jan 20, 2014
Good words here folks! I've been thinking about the pipe conversion Zippo for a while now. I think I'll give it a try.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Good words here folks! I've been thinking about the pipe conversion Zippo for a while now. I think I'll give it a try.
If you email them they will send you an insert for free

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
While I have 3 Zippos, one is a pipe lighter. I have never been enamored with them for pipe smoking as I always get the fuel flavor. I work part time at a B&M and have access to some Macanudo branded butane flint lighters. They are ST Dupont knockoffs, but are very nicely built and have a great adjustable flame I find ideal for pipes. The flame port is very close to the edge making it very easy to put the flame where I want it. I do like Zippos for cigars, just find the opposite for piping.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I bought a new Zippo with the pipe on the side and the pipe insert. Then I wanted to try their warranty. I found a regular Zippo with a Groundhog Day design on the case. I sent it to Zippo, and they provided a new pipe insert and returned the original insert also. Very happy.
Winton

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I have a zippo I use for cigarettes and whatnot, but I wouldnt bother for pipes. In all honesty, I thought all this hot air about zippo fuel affecting the taste was, well, hot air, but I tried it the other day (oddly enough, I've never faced this situation before), that the only working lighter I had was a zippo, and I certainly could taste the difference.
Also, Winton, I've known scores of people with zippos, but yours is the first i've read where someone's bothered to use the lifetime guarantee, glad to know it actually works.

Status
Not open for further replies.