Bought a Spectator Pipe at an antique store.

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Country Squire Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Preferred Member
May 23, 2018
In my travels today I stopped at an antique store to kill some time. I must of seen at least thirty pipes in this place and a half dozen meerschaum pipes...tan/brown stained/colored (proper wording?). Saw some pipes I never heard of like Digby and His Nips. I bought two pipes the first one was a Spectator Imported Briar. See pics below. The second pipe is a bull dog with a white elephant on the shank and it states TANGANVIKA and it's also says 2 GENUINE BLOCK MEERSCHAUM. I post pics of this one later. Probably in a different thread.

scloyd

Preferred Member
May 23, 2018
I paid $11.80 tax included for the Spectator. I don't know what I'm going to do with it...maybe ebay.

pastorpiper

Dec 16, 2016
ooh...."His Nibs" is made by my favorite pipe maker, Tracy Mincer, from the 1930's-50's.....Custom-Bilt pipes (that may actually be when they were worded custombilt without dash. The names with the dash are the oldest ones). A great USA made pipe and all very distinctive (meaning once you see one, you know exactly who the maker/company is). The Nibs pipe is a very small pipe meant to be smoked during intermission breaks way back in the day.
Love my Custom-Bilt pipes! Great smokers! Go back and grab that one, even if it is just to sit on a shelf and preserve a great American pipe maker.
Edit: Just looked up my info on them.....Eugene Rich was making the Nibs pipes by then, but they are from the 1940's

Country Squire Banner

scloyd

Preferred Member
May 23, 2018
His Nibs was only $15. I didn't buy because I don't know what I'm doing. I'm a newbie. :rofl:

scloyd

Preferred Member
May 23, 2018
I've been trying to find out more information on the Spectator pipe. I read online that it may of been made by Dr. Grabow and sold thru Mail Pouch tobacco. Does this ring a bell with any of the old-timers? Does anyone remember Mail Pouch tobacco having a pipe offer?

jazz

Preferred Member
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Sounds like that bulldog with the elephant is a Tanganyika meerschaum from Africa.

jaytex969

Preferred Member
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That briar is a nice slightly tapered Dublin shape. My Viking with a similar shape is a champion flake smoker.
Nice.

scloyd

Preferred Member
May 23, 2018
Sounds like that bulldog with the elephant is a Tanganyika meerschaum from Africa.
Yes it is. It cleaned up really nice. I'll post before and after pics soon.

scloyd

Preferred Member
May 23, 2018
That briar is a nice slightly tapered Dublin shape. My Viking with a similar shape is a champion flake smoker.
Nice.
Thanks Jay. The stem cleaned up really nice with some Oxyclean and micro-mesh pads. I haven't smoked it yet.

bnichols23

Preferred Member
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Nice looking! Always been a fan of Dublins. Other than that crap integral stinger... (Sorry, just an admitted prejudice, don't like 'em). Looks like a good fishing pipe!
Bill

bluesmk

Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
That Digby is a second's mark of GBD. I have a few and they smoke every bit as good as my first quality GBD's.

Dan'Gabrieli Pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Squire Banner