Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Nice acquisitions. The blue spade Duke Grabow are filtered bayonet style push stems, looks like ABS plastic so probably from the 80s. The Pipe is a phenolic resin shell, similar to bakelite, with a pyrolytic graphite bowl. Nasa grade stuff. You can clean them in the dishwasher too. Believe that was a selling point. Is there a line indicated on the little Grabow apple with white spade?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 8
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Nice acquisitions. The blue spade Duke Grabow are filtered bayonet style push stems, looks like ABS plastic so probably from the 80s. The Pipe is a phenolic resin shell, similar to bakelite, with a pyrolytic graphite bowl. Nasa grade stuff. You can clean them in the dishwasher too. Believe that was a selling point. Is there a line indicated on the little Grabow apple with white spade?
View attachment 23947

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Looks like a Lark, nice little pipe. I have the same shape in the Royalton line

fKRhu0J_d.jpg

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
My dad smoked Grabows before I was born. I didn't find that out until about a year ago when I picked one up in an estate sale. I cleaned it and sanitized but have never smoked it. This makes me want to get it out and fire it up!
I was surprised at how small they are but the smoke very well. I am growing fond of them

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
The diplomat is not part of them
@BROBS is correct that they're older pipes.

Many of my pipes have smaller bowls. They come in handy for a quick smoke, for stronger blends [My main fare is no stronger than mild-medium] or when I wish to enjoy a blend that I've got in limited supply.

It's nice to have a range of bowl sizes and shapes from which to choose as some blends taste better in a particular size or shape.

Not that I've got a bowl anywhere near the size of @chasingembers Moretti - ye Gods man, "nearly an ounce"? That would be a $60 smoke here in Nanny State Australia. :eek:

Reactions: theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
It

it’s a Linkman’s Dr Grabow Deluxe Bruyere
Has propeller logo on stem and gold shield on shank of bowl.
Patent # 1896800
Shape 9722A
Stinger is gone....cut or removed.
Nice. 97 refers to the Deluxe line and finish used, which would be natural, 22 is the shape number, the a indicates it's large. Probably late 30s - early 40s, made in Chicago, without a stinger it's hard to narrow down a date. You ever consider letting it go I might be totally interested.

Reactions: voorhees

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Nice. 97 refers to the Deluxe line and finish used, which would be natural, 22 is the shape number, the a indicates it's large. Probably late 30s - early 40s, made in Chicago, without a stinger it's hard to narrow down a date. You ever consider letting it go I might be totally interested.

Thanks monkfish for the info. It came from a collector whose entire collection carried not much further than the mid forties. His daughter sold the collection and I was able to get first dibs on some of them. I knew the Linkman was old. But the size of this thing is impressive.
It was lightly smoked, so he probably cut the stinger off. 77E1D150-05F6-4310-A717-B74D899B6F6F.jpeg3730395F-5F16-44B1-AEAE-EE3CF66231D7.jpeg5AC76209-9546-4715-A92B-F817FF98EBBE.jpeg

Reactions: theloniousmonkfish

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
The nice thing about having a stash like that is even with a small chamber, if you want a longer smoke... You can just fire up a bowl in another pipe when you're done with the first! It's a pretty nice stash of pipes. Nice, trim old-school shapes.

If you're looking for bigger briars that won't break the bank, Rossi's Vittoria line offers Savinelli KS (big pipes, but not as big as the EX monsters) shapes for around $50.