PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I picked up a few tins of Bothy Flake after growing very attached to Lancer Slices. The combo of Virginias and Latakia is very pleasant, and I'll have to look into other similar blend types.

The Latakia in Bothy Flake is less controlling than in Lancer Slices, and it does a better job of melding with the Virginias. Although it is Virginia-forward, the Latakia is constantly there providing a nice smokey support with a hint of spice. The Virginias aren't sweet and citrusy, but more flowery like compost. There's a fruitiness there but it isn't very sweet, more like apricots than peaches. I don't detect much of the whiskey topping, but my palate IQ usually isn't high enough to pick up liquor toppings. I did occasionally pick up a yeasty note that reminded me of something fermenting, but I think that was more from the Virginias than the topping.

The flake itself is sopping wet, like all tinned Gawith flakes. I dried and fully rubbed out the flakes and mostly packed with the Frank method, which worked pretty well. I didn't really notice the nicotine.

Overall, this is a very enjoyable smoke. I dig the Gawith ethos, which seems to be to make excellent blends that aren't overly complex. Once I quit trying to do the novice thing where I try to pick out each of the tobacco flavors and started enjoying the unity of flavors, I started enjoying it much more.

This one gets a 3.5/5 from me. I might order more if it's available stateside, but I don't think I'll be importing any tins.

I obviously have no idea how to do reviews, so here's my subjective scale:
5/5 - One of the big boys. Super Mario Brothers 2 of pipe tobacco.
4/5 - Bretty gud, I'll order some to keep around. Nice.
3/5 - Solid, finished the tin/bag. Probably won't order more. Maybe.
2/5 - Didn't finish tin/bag, but only because I'm a picky spoiled brat.
1/5 - Actually couldn't finish the tin/bag.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
A good review which I think is spot on.I smoke this blend in the colder months and always look forward to it, Iam able to taste the malt whiskey its very natural.Another blend that you might like is Gawith/ Hoggarth black bourbon flake a new reunion blend.At the moment its only sold in bulk in the Uk. With both blends the topping is underpinned by quality virginia.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
SG Wintertime Flake is another good Virg Lat if you run across it. I was told today none of the Four Season blends will be around after current stock runs out.

Reactions: Magpiety

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
You'll have to define this one for me, I'm an uncool guy that doesn't know the lingo lol

The Kearvaig Pipe Club, they worked with SG to develop the blend.

"So, quite simply, the Kearvaig Pipe Club (KPC) was formed for chaps who like to smoke their pipes in bothies. The KPC was formed in August 2012 at Kearvaig Bothy situated on Scotland's magical and remote nothern shore close to Cape Wrath. Since the inaugural meeting, KPC membership has gone from a handful of pipe-puffing oddballs and misfits to a bigger bunch of oddballs and misfits; with UK members in Scotland, England and Wales."

:)

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
But seriously - you should all consider a pilgrimage to Kearvaig. It's a beautiful spot to smoke a pipe. A picture of yourself smoking there guarantees membership in the club.

My wife and I did it in the before times. I consider it a highlight of my pipe life.
Consider it considered! I read up on it just the other week and the whole region sounds magical.

Status
Not open for further replies.