PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
I am considering creating a Software bot for our beloved hard to get blends. I am wondering if this is a worthwhile pursuit and of interest to others here? I am more or less creating it for me, but once it's developed It needs to be tested. The software will, once it restocks, it will purchase, and auto-checkout.

Reactions: kurtbob

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
To the extent it works, it generally provokes a compensatory change on the part of the retail store, who view it as predatory to their much larger group of non-botting customers.

I wouldn’t want to set myself up as a problem for my favourite retailer.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
As it is, as a time saver anyway I use turbotin.com to bird dog down blends and it checks stocks at retailers. I kinda agree that bots kinda killed shopping for us old school online shoppers ;)

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
As it is, as a time saver anyway I use turbotin.com to bird dog down blends and it checks stocks at retailers. I kinda agree that bots kinda killed shopping for us old school online shoppers ;)
I've used turbotin a few times. You're right, it really takes away an element of the fun

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I am considering creating a Software bot for our beloved hard to get blends. I am wondering if this is a worthwhile pursuit and of interest to others here? I am more or less creating it for me, but once it's developed It needs to be tested. The software will, once it restocks, it will purchase, and auto-checkout.
There are clearly already purchasing bots in use for hard to get tobacco, but usage of automated software is usually against the general terms and conditions of most sites (not that the people behind the bots care). Bot mitigation is available, but time and cost is always involved. The solution for some stores is to not sell online rather than deal with these types of issues. I can't fault them for that; please don't add to the already going list of issues that the tobacco stores are already facing.

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
To the extent it works, it generally provokes a compensatory change on the part of the retail store, who view it as predatory to their much larger group of non-botting customers.

I wouldn’t want to set myself up as a problem for my favorite retailer.
I would not concern yourself with being detected and resulting in a "problem" with your favorite retailer. Most have a tin limit. The bot completes the same actions as a human would. It just clicks for you while you are away. I love our moral compass here. A Bot is a bad idea, yet charging our fellow piper 6x times retail for a blend is perfectly fine..... I am just attempting to give some a chance to buy a few tins they normally would not be able to procure due to scarcity.

Status
Not open for further replies.