PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
1644644368150.png

Opening this tin has a decent English blend scent to it, with a touch of licorice, probably from the Latakia, a little more complex and compelling that others. Some toasted Virginia and .. I think Cavendish to smooth it out. Eagerly I stuff my pipe readily.

Initially, it reminds me of the actual image on the packaging, like New Hampshire campfire in deep woods near the Kancamagus byway and then 10 miles trek north on a misty Sunday, going camping, then lighting up a campfire and smelling the dank woods around and the burning, smoldering smokey fire.

I wonder if they named it after they made the blend? Very appropriate name.

Smell of earthy woodland permeates initially, and the English blend is fairly complex and reasonably deep, with charred log taste. This goes on for a while with Latakia coming in and out and then...

Sutliff Hot Chocolate.

It's weird, like.. as if you're at a campfire, it's getting dark and you can smell the woods around you and the charred logs, and it's getting cold, so you brew up a pot of hot chocolate and drink that, then it all mixes together.

The hot chocolate taste increases more towards the end, as if you take it into your tent, perhaps topped with a marshmallow lending from the Cavendish vanilla super distant taste, the Latakia woody taste, musky and dank and sometimes crispy log licorice fades. Chocolate taking over warmly.

Burns cool and steady. Campfire room note. Nicotine was above medium to me and got a bit of a buzz towards the 2/3rds mark. Actually quite good and interesting, satisfying my aromatic preference.

It's a lonely smoke though. Distant and far-off and compelling as if you're alone camping in the woods to get away from it all for an unknown amount of time.

Nice one, and a mild English, fairly well blended and intreguing.

Recommended.

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
I noticed later-on on TobaccoReviews.com and other sites that the second half is described differently for everybody. I try not to bias my reviews on previous ones or even read them at all. Suggestion sits in your mind no matter how unbiased you try to be if you read those, just like a jury having information dismissed and over-ruled. For me, it was chocolate, and in particular, Sutliff's Hot Chocolate, and even maybe Kendall's Chocolate Flake.. maybe.. but I've read dozens of different angles to that 2nd half.

Haven't tried GLP Quiet Nights but I've heard good things about it. I have quite a few English blends now, perhaps 20, and they're all cellar'ed at this point, so I'm resistant to add more to the mix because in my heart-of-hearts I'm an aromatic fan, and only the best aromatics at-that (there's so many poor ones out there).

Thanks for the input, guys!

Reactions: Fralphog