PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I bought an estate for a great deal recently and I want to start smoking it soon. Unfortunately I can't get a pipe cleaner in, I tried running one through with both a soft bristle and firm bristle but neither worked. The pipe is a Bruken Selecta but the stem is a replacement, it holds a 6mm filter. Does anybody know of any ways to widen the bore or ways to clean stems without pipe cleaners? It's a lovely stem so I'd hate to need a replacement.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Perhaps there is something in the stem that is causing the obstruction.
Is the stem straight ?
If it is, shine a strong light to see if there is something in there that shouldn't be.
If the stem is bent, heat it up and straighten. Then check.

Reactions: Browny

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Many of us have a variety of pipe cleaners. Some work better in some pipes than in others. It may be a matter of thickness or even how bendable the pipe cleaner is.
I have pipes that I didn’t like because I couldn’t run a cleaner all the way through to the bowl. I bought some different type pipe cleaners for use in those pipes & now it’s no problem.

Mac

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Take the pipe apart. Can you pass a cleaner through the shank into the bowl? If so, your issue is due to the stem being a 6mm, the excess room allows the pipe cleaner to move around and not line up. This is not an issue, just requires the pipe to be disassembled to properly clean.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Sounds like the airway has build up. You can use a simple poker to get a lot of it out, and then you can use a drill bit and spin it by hand with pliers. I'd get a flashlight and look into the mortise to at least get an idea how to start. Once you get the majority of it out, you can scrub it clean with a tube brush, dishwashing soap, and warm running water.

Reactions: Browny

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Depending on construction, investment, and sense of adventure, I’d straighten and ream it. I’ve had ones already that I had to do that, then ream enough to get a cleaner in, then clamp reamer to bench so I could run it back and forth, then the same with a toothpaste impregnated reamer, then a bristle to get opened up.

Will air pass, or is it completely plugged?

Reactions: Browny and OzPiper

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Ah, the stem. That's different. My preferred, favorite maker uses a smaller airway, which is one reason why they are my favorite. I use the thinnest cleaners I can find for those pipes. I like the pipes enough to adapt to them. I wouldn't mess with it if it was a good smoker, but if it wasn't, I'd sell it.