PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Not pipe smoking related, though it comes up a couple of times. But if you are fascinated with the stories of families told over generations, the wars, carpentry and farming then check out sixteen trees of Somme. Hands down the best novel I have read in the last two years
Just checked it out -- looks excellent.

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Many, if not most, mystery novels from the '30s and '40s (the "golden age") were embellished with plenty of pipe smoking. It's my favorite fiction for that and other reasons. If movies count, The Stranger, with Edward G. Robinson, springs immediately to mind. Think his friggin' pipe is in almost every scene.

Reactions: jpberg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
For the pipers, I suggest Scots Guard Book 1 & 2 as a beginner. Has most standard settings for mass band. Once you start competition, there are individual collections for different settings. If you have a tutor, they usually have specific selection they will suggest. If you are into Ceol Mor (piobaireachd), Piobaireachd Society books are good, but no need to collect them all.

If this is about smoking pipe, you are no piper.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I am reading the John D MacDonald Travis McGee series he mentions pipes and tobacco in a few of the books very very briefly.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I am reading the John D MacDonald Travis McGee series he mentions pipes and tobacco in a few of the books very very briefly.

Reactions: burleybreath

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
This one is a great read.
1E9CBD3D-B3EC-4906-B4F4-FB68DA1BD1C6.jpeg
This one is pretty good, but didn’t grab my attention like the other.
7C133303-68F3-4F9B-9BDB-ECAD78F1F192.jpeg
There are a few others out there, sorry I’m not home to grab them. The NASPC also does a magazine that has some good articles in it If you are also looking for some shorter reads.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Back From The Ashes: Uncovering the Lost History of G. L. Hunt and the Falcon Pipe. I forgot about this one it was a good read.