Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sep 20, 2023
Hello all,

I have a Morgan Bones Bulldog that was in poor storage for a few years. Picked it up recently, and found it covered in a whitish blue mildew/mold (?). I've looked at restoring estate pipes with similar issues, and the results have either been a light cleaning solution so as to not hurt a finish, or it's not worth the risk.

For the price, I'm not sure if it's worth the risk, but being an unfinished Bones, I don't have to worry about protecting a finish. Any reccomendations? I thought of simmering it in a sauce pan with salt, thinking it would kill the stuff on it, but again, for $40 is it worth any risk?

Thanks for any advice!

Reactions: JOHN72

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Nov 2021- Feb 2022 was an extremely wet/high humidity summer in Sydney, Oz.
With resultant mould throughout our house and storage cupboards - clothes, shoes, pipes, etc.
We have been in our present house for over 35 years and this was the 1st time we have encountered this.
Luckily my cigars or tobacco were NOT affected

I just cleaned up the pipes with paper towels inside and out.
I used cotton wool and alcohol soaks for the worst affected bowls.
And ran alcohol soaked cleaners through the airways.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I would personally just toss it. I had a bones bulldog once. I loved that pipe. I accidentally left it somewhere by the river one day and haven't seen it since.

H

HRPufnstuf

Another classic cleaner that might work is baking soda paste.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Leave it out on full sun. If that doesn't do it, there are solutions that will get rid of 'em on contact, and you can actually use safely as a human being.