PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
I'm wondering if there are bold tasting tobaccos (non-aros) that are lite in nicotine. I really enjoy the flavor of HH Bold Kentucky, but can only smoke it 10-15 minutes at a time, otherwise I really start to feel it. Your suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Interesting question!

Typically, I equate “bold” with nicotine, which I only enjoy in small to moderate amounts. (HH ODF was too much for me. Stonehaven is just right.) But would a latakia-forward blend be “bold” for you? If so, maybe something like GLP’s Odyssey would fit the bill. For me, it’s his richest Balkan and very enjoyable.

If spicy might be “bold,” I’d encourage you to try an oriental-forward blend like Pease’s Charing Cross, Rattray’s Red Rapparee (I can never remember how many ps and rs), or McConnell’s Oriental. (Perique, of course, is spicy too, but it comes with a nic hit.)

And then there are blends emboldened with cigar leaf, which might strike the right note: Robert Lewis’s 123 Mixture, Pease’s Key Largo, James Fox’s Bankers Mixture.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Maybe the C&D burly flakes. I don't remember feeling like they packed that much of a punch. Love the one you mentioned. And honestly I don't feel like it was nic bomb either.
My experience with C&D burley flakes is that they pack a fairly decent nicotine punch, anywhere from medium all the way to strong. One of the reasons I enjoy them. While very flavorful, not sure I could recommend them for someone looking for a light nicotine hit. Of course, this is only my opinion.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I'm wondering if there are bold tasting tobaccos (non-aros) that are lite in nicotine. I really enjoy the flavor of HH Bold Kentucky, but can only smoke it 10-15 minutes at a time, otherwise I really start to feel it. Your suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks.
I second those recommending a Latakia mixture. If you like Latakia, Boswell's Northwoods may be an option. It has a nice, full flavor but is light in the nicotine department. Too light for me as I like blends with a bit more punch.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My experience with C&D burley flakes is that they pack a fairly decent nicotine punch, anywhere from medium all the way to strong. One of the reasons I enjoy them. While very flavorful, not sure I could recommend them for someone looking for a light nicotine hit. Of course, this is only my opinion.
I don't really notice much difference between most blends as far as nicotine goes. Weaker ones take a little longer to feel chill and stronger ones seems to take less time. Otherwise never really found much difference.

Reactions: blackpowderpiper

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Thank you for all the suggestions!

I've only recently enjoyed Latakia over the winter. One blend was a B&M English something or other and the other was BoF Eccentric. The Latakia in Eccentric was very noticeable in a nice way when I first started smoking it, but the further into the tin I got, the less powerful it became. I may also be dealing with some minor sinus issues recently, no cold symptoms, but mild drainage. Latakia in the cooler weather was nice but I don't see myself smoking it much as it warms up.

Orientals in do really like, though my experience with them is also limited. I've had Fox Companile which is good as well as Briarworks Unsweet Tea. The other oriental blend I had I didn't care for was Orion's Arrow, just tasted musty. Looks like GLP Odyssey was mentioned a couple of times, I'll have to add that to my wish list. I have GLP Embarcadero on my list, how does that compare to Odyssey?

I like VaPer's so far, but haven't tried any heavy Perique blends, like The Beast, yet. One's I've liked are Briarworks Back Down South and BoF Whimsical. I know Unsweet Tea has Perique, but to my taste the oriental is more forward in that blend. Just dipped my toe into Orlick Golden Sliced, but from what I understand it's light in the Perique department. Also have some Solani 633 yet to try.

Burley's so far are ok taste wise, remind me a bit of cigarettes, well, at least Golden Extra does. I have a tin of Erinmore yet to try.

I've seen 'dark' & 'brown' flakes mentioned before, what do they typically consist of?

Reactions: ThermionicScott

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Thank you for all the suggestions!
You asked how GLP Odyssey compares to Embarcadero…

Odyssey is a latakia-forward Balkan, which puts the latakia and other orientals in the foreground; the Virginias provide background/foundation.

If I’m remembering correctly, Embarcadero is a Va/oriental with no latakia at all. (The oriental was Izmir when this was released in 2007; I don’t know what the current recipe might be.) It’s been sixteen years since I opened a tin, but I remember wishing the orientals came through more. There were puffs that were revelatory, and moments when the orientals seemed to disappear entirely. I enjoyed it when it was released, but apparently not enough to cellar more than a couple of tins.

There is nothing about Embarcadero that I would call “bold,” though.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbmoehl
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Sounds like you may enjoy Latakia or Oriental blends. Dark Fired may be enjoyable too.

SPC has a great tobacco search function with include and exclude options. Try playing around with the search function and mark bulk blends to try 1 ounce samples.

Dark flakes are mainly Virginia based, but a few Burley and Latakia flakes are made.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
In your opinion, does Rattray's Black Mallory cover "bold" regarding latakia?
Not for me. I love Black Mallory, but consider it a smooth, rich English with a moderate latakia presence. It has cavendish, which for me usually means it’s less bold.

Reactions: tirefire

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
How do Black Mallory and Red Rapparee compare for you?
BM is a rich and mellow English. RR is a very oriental-forward VA/oriental; it’s been a while since I’ve smoked it, but I don’t recall any latakia presence. If it’s there, it’s quite muted. The orientals are spicy and, for me, sharp. Although I enjoy orientals, RR was a bit too much for me.

Reactions: tirefire