PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
So I've been smoking Bob's on and off for a while, its always interesting, but never very chocolatey. I have always done either the rub out or fold and stuff packing, today however I decided to cube it and pack it. Wow, big difference, very creamy and there actually is a chocolate taste along with the normal latakia/other flavors. I will update this post when I try it again, but for the moment I think this is THE WAY to smoke Bob's chocolate.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
That must be how to do it. I was rubbing it out, and I didn't find it very impressive. Thanks for the info!

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
How do you cube and pack tobacco?
In the Bob Tate article, in the bottom right of the page, he has a list and videos on all the different methods.
All it really is is cutting the flake with the grain into strips, then across the grain to make tiny cubes, the you just stuff it in the pipe.
I am actually about to try it with vanilla creme

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Whenever I get a flake that is new to me I try all 3 methods. First by rubbing it out, then fold n stuff and then cubing it. Usually one method works better than the others and it varies by brand. :puffy:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Nougat and Bob's Chocolate Flake are completely different in my opinion. Nougat is more like a vanilla forward blend than a chocolate one. Bob's Chocolate Flake has a very light, dark-cocoa flavor.
-Jason

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Ok ok ok ok ok ok STOP.
Now you have to try layering the smoke as follows and report on the result. lol this is gonna be good.
Bottom to top:
Cube, rubbed, folded flake
Cube, folded flake, rubbed
Rubbed, cube, folded flake
Rubbed, folded flake, cubed
Folded flake, rubbed, cubed
Folded flake, cubed, rubbed
LOL have fun!

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
I tear and very lightly rub Bob's Flake, which i suppose is similar to cubing. I agree it aids the flavour, as does a little drying.

The best way to get the chocolate though is to drink a chocolate milkshake as you smoke it. It makes both taste much better, and really brings out the chocolate!

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
Thanks for the tip, jchaplick. It seems counter to convention, since I thought rubbing out rendered more flavor/aroma.

I've got an open tin of Gawith Rum Flake and I'll try that technique today and check the difference. Perhaps cubing will be a great solution - cool and more fragrant.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Nougat and Bob's Chocolate Flake are completely different in my opinion. Nougat is more like a vanilla forward blend than a chocolate one. Bob's Chocolate Flake has a very light, dark-cocoa flavor.
-Jason
Does the PS Nougat have the hint o' Lakelands and Latakia involved too? Might be interesting with a Vanilla forward blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.