Bob Dylan Releases His Longest Song Ever.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020

1. Because it was one of the first record albums I purchased and I sat in my room listening to it over and over and over....
2. It's easy to sing along. :col:
One of the first records i bought was the 45 rpm version that was probably like 3 minutes or something, which was apparently not long enough for the full philosophical exposition needed to do it justice.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I’ll have to check this out, thanks! I like Visions of Johanna and Desolation Row. Also, Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands.

Led Zeppelin tops my favorite long songs list.

In My Time of Dying
The Song Remains the Same
The Rain Song
Kashmir
Dazed and Confused

It takes a special ability to hold someone’s attention and be interesting for that long. I’ve always hoped one day I can compose something near that length that’s worth listening to. One of my life goals.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I haven't listened to it yet, but will later today when I have time and in the right frame of mind.

It is less than a minute longer than his previously longest song, and one of my very favorite of his, Highlands.

Reactions: Bengel and Ronv69

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Kansas is one of my favorite bands and has quite a few long songs.

Song for America is a true classic and the quintessential Kansas song.

Mysteries and Mayhem and The Pinnacle was originally all one composition, but they were pressured from the record company to break it into two.

Someone posted this restored version.

Reactions: varrj

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It was a little discouraging to writers when Bob racked up a Nobel prize in literature after papering his house in Grammy's, but I do love the guy's work, not every song, but many, both for the interesting music and the occasionally quite brilliant lyrics. He's big with personas and must have a rich fantasy life. That is not a Minnesota accent he sings in most of his songs. He's exceeding some of the legends he's impersonated, a skimpy little man physically with a visionary spirit. My candle's still under a bushel somewhere, but I do enjoy his work.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Speaking of the OED, I just watched The Professor and The Madman last weekend...highly recommended"

I read the book Bryan....at least 3 times!

i have a full set of leather bound books made up from the original fascicles as published over 40+ years!

i also have the 20 volume second edition of 1989.....both sets are much treasured.

Regards,

Jay ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and brian64
Status
Not open for further replies.