PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
To get a competent billiard requires not just an artisan, but the very best artisan. Most can‘t, and the best factory versions (which were made by true artisans) don’t exist anymore.
I see Eltang making a beautiful, proportionate billiard from time to time. You're saying that his billiards are flawed? What flaws do artisans commonly make?

Reactions: tfdickson

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I see Eltang making a beautiful, proportionate billiard from time to time. You're saying that his billiards are flawed? What flaws do artisans commonly make?

No, that’s not what I meant. Eltang definitely knows his way around the billiard shape, backwards and forwards. I’m saying that billiards are one of the more difficult classic shapes to master because the margin of error in getting the proportions exactly right are so small. I’m saying that many artisan pipe makers have trouble dialing it in exactly right. As for what is exactly right and what is not, just like Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart said: “I know it when I see it.”

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Many things can't be said in language, magnificent as it is, especially when the writer knows his words, grammar and syntax. Now if you put a billiard that you adore next to one that you esteem, you likely can find things with the esteemed that you couldn't find looking at it alone. And it would seem that this comparison's findings could be described by language.

You could say that the adored pipe was perfect. I beheld one such pipe, an Eltang billiard, on sp a few years ago, and I was transfixed by both the pipe and its price. I forgot about it, and it rotated off sale, at which point I felt I had to know the price, which customer service gave to me. I can't judge value without it.

Anyway I can't put into words why that pipe captivated me. It was just goddam perfect, and I knew it when I saw it.