PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
@kabong I understand the whole "God doesn't care how you look" idea..my point is following the op. People don't "dress up" anymore, Sunday best means nothing.

for the record, I wasn't trying to make this into any kind of a religious controversy, what you should or shouldn't wear to church if you do or don't go..

I hate being PC.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Chris: I wasn't taking it as a religious statement... I concur with the "Sunday best doesn't mean anything anymore". It's become a mess

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I go to St. Mattress every Sunday morning, so attire isn't an issue. Now that I am not required to wear a suit and tie every day, I do like to put on one of my nice fitted suits and look sharp when I go to a nice dinner with my wife.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I am 50 now, and have gone through the same thing. I only wear a ballcap when on the way to work on my bike, and have upgraded my wardrobe to include nice shoes, watches and clothing to wear when out in public, even though I don't need to dress nicely for work.
I think it's sort of a natural progression many men go through, albeit a bit later for our generation than others, methinks because of the constant emphasis on "counter culture" dressing since the '60's societal revolution.
I saw a fellow the other day about of about 55, wearing a suit with sneakers and wanted to go up to him and say "hey buddy, that look sure is original; you're probably the first to do it in the last 40 years, no?" Or "wow, your really ARE a non-conformist!" It just looks so sloppy, careless and stupid to me now. Anyway, end of rant, and good luck in your pursuit of classy-looking attire!

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The only hats I like are the ones I'm wearing in my avatar. I never dress up but I agree it would be sort of cool to have "better" clothes.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
@kabong I understand the whole "God doesn't care how you look" idea..my point is following the op. People don't "dress up" anymore, Sunday best means nothing.

for the record, I wasn't trying to make this into any kind of a religious controversy, what you should or shouldn't wear to church if you do or don't go..

I hate being PC.
Sorry, I wasn't either :)

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I wear the same thing I wore since I was about 13. Button down oxford, jeans, brown penny loafers, brown belt. I have about 30 oxfords in various colors. When I have to spiff up, a tie and sports coat, with cotton pants matching the coat color (out to dinner, events, that sort of stuff). I have a few suites but the get dusted off for a need for them. Now that collage is out, the brats are everywhere, in PJ's and torn up tee shirts. I just don't get it. Holy crap, I am my father.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
It is respect for that situation. Most of the people I see their appearance says to me "hey I brushed my teeth and took half a shower" thats how much respect I have for myself and others! People trying to say appearance doesn’t matter, and maybe it shouldn’t, but it does. Its implanted in our mind. I see someone in a police uniform and figure its a cop, I see someone in a ski mask in a bank I would thing bank robber, I see tight clothes with body parts falling out I think hooker, I see someone dressed as a slob I think slob.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have 2 fadoras that i wear out on occasion. I lived in ukraine for awhile and before i left i had a tuxedo tailored to fit based on my design, very classy with tails. I wore it in my wedding, but it gets out on occassion.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I also wear a uniform… When I’m off I wear flip-flops and shorts 90% of the time, its hot here in Fla. Dress up time may include my nice flip-flops and a guayabera shirt. I wore a tie for 6 years when I was working as a detective. I now own 2 ties one for funerals and one for weddings. I’m over dressing way up but I still dress very nice (casual nice). However my kids say that I dress like a lumberjack during the winter months!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I love getting all spiffy. It makes you feel like you can accomplish anything.
I'm in transition right now.
Hard for me to give up my Bettie Page T-shirts... :puffy:

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Very well said mp31guitar. I have a beautiful Caribou "Stetson Pinnacle Beaver Fur" Fedora I enjoy very much. Great thread by the way. :puffpipe:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
When I was in college, I had a couple of Professors that called me "The Renaissance Man" for a couple of reasons. But, primarily because I dressed for class. I didn't just show up for class dressed the same way I crawled out of the rack that morning like so many of my class mates. I didn't begin my matriculation until I was 30. While I didn't normally wear a Sport Jacket, I did wear ties and avoided tennis shoes.
As for Top Hats, and Bowlers, starched collars (separate from shirts), real bow ties, pocket-watches, gaiters, cuff-links, the button fly, and sock suspenders; I believe this is where the the 19th Century maintains its fashion ascendancy over the day to day of modern attire. These so called Modern Fashions, while some are quite nice are influenced by modern materials, and convenience, they are lacking the quality of demonstrating one's personal dignity.
I don't believe there are many that would argue that a well tailored tux with tails (worn with proper accoutrements) isn't preferable to a pair of blue jeans and a polo or tee shirt for a proper night on the town.

But, in a like mind, I don't think anyone would consider working in construction while wearing a suit and tie either.
Maybe it's just that many in modern times have lost a sense of personal dignity. It's a shame that dressing properly is now limited to Proms, Funerals, and Weddings instead of the cultural norm.
Thank God for the pipe.
My soap box has now been relegated to the recycle bin.
:puffy:

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Nice post Lawrence and very well said. I couldn't agree more! Thank you for sharing. :puffpipe:

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Now that you mentioned it Lawrence I believe I'll look into a sport coat that will match my hard hat. Its grey so I should be able to manage

Status
Not open for further replies.