PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great question! I think such a Blue Book would be too huge and require too many updates and too much

staff time to keep current. You know there is some kind of process by which the large sites establish prices

for estate pipes, working back from what a pipe cost new, corrected for inflation, condition, rarity, and so

forth. Probably estate pipe pages on web sites and ebay and similar sites are about as close as it gets.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
There is a book, "Old Briar" by Dave Whitney, available either through Amazon as a Kindle book, or on DVD on Ebay, that serves as a guide to finding good values in estate pipes. It also has info on refurbishing pipes, and scads of other pipe lore.
I'd also recommend the book "Who Made That Pipe," a guide to pipe names and their manufacturers, by Herb Wilczak & Tom Colwell, a bit pricey, but good information for tracking down obscure pipe brands.

seilerjp

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
One of the problems is that pipe prices seem to fluctuate quickly. An "in" pipe maker today may be 'out' tomorrow. Sometimes it may vary from show to show.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
There is no Blue Book for pricing estates per se. It's more of a market thing, based on the original grades set up in the original catalogs way back when, and the presence of examples on the market. Condition and stamping plays a big role as well.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
4dot, you are a veritable encyclopedia on all things pipes! Thanks for the leads on good pipe references!
430pat, are you selling or buying?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you are looking to get a value for specific pipes, guys like Pipestud and Mike from Briar Blues have a combined 100 years in the pipe business and can easily give you a good idea of what any pipe is worth and what it might sell for. These guys are so old they have been selling pipes since the 50's. If they don't know, no one does.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
There is a book, "Old Briar" by Dave Whitney, available either through Amazon as a Kindle book, or on DVD on Ebay, that serves as a guide to finding good values in estate pipes. It also has info on refurbishing pipes, and scads of other pipe lore.
You just convinced me to but my first ebook. Read a few pages and it seems like a good read.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mike, it is always interesting to get your perspective and tap your expertise. I've only been doing this for four years, so I have a lot to learn.
I have found it effective to watch a lot of auctions, in the brands I like, a somewhat narrow group of Briths makers (James Upshall, Ashton, GBD, Ferndown, etc.). The upside to Ebay is the sheer volume. There are definitely price fluctuations, based on many factors and certain sellers (Pipestud, Coopersark, etc.) usually command premium prices. But as I mentally scan thru the daily pool of closed auctions I do get some decent pricing perspective and can quite frequently determine to a fairly close degree where an auction will end. I really enjoy watching those last seconds tick away and see if my guess was close. Reviewing the pictures, description, vendor, time the auction ends are all factors in when a particular pipe will bring. Perhaps that isn't a "Blue Book" value, but just what the market will bear.
I believe with a some pipes on your site, the price set is by the seller. I assume you give them some counseling in getting in the right ballpark. I watched with interest last week on a GBD 9676 Virgin Colossus you had on Ebay. (I have the same pipe). I thought the initial listing was a bit high and then it was reduced and sold (I had predicted around $250 for this unusual GBD, pretty close I think?). I really was hoping that first price point would be a hit! For that pipe, it was pretty much a group of one, and I assume there was no other piece to compare or set pricing.
You are right in that online vendors will offer more consistent price point, but the pool of available pipes in a particular brand/shape/finish is much smaller.
My pricing analysis may not work with the real high end pieces and perhaps just useful in the mid-priced estates. ($100-$300)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mike, I didn't think you sounded harsh at all, just some good perspective. I do use a blend of estate vendors and Ebay to calculate values. That reminds, me, there is a Bo Nordh thread here and we were speculating on the final bid. I said $8,500 and it brought $7,500. I think I was the closest estimate, but I don't have a lot of experience pricing Bo Nordh's.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.