PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Hello folks, so I have a question for anyone living somewhere a bit windy: what do you do to help you to continue piping when the winds get up? I'm finding it just makes my pipe very hot a and bitter but I know somebody somewhere out there must have come up with something to help. Do those pipe caps for the wind really work? Thank you all :)

Stuart

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
They work. I find it helps to keep the wind at your back as well, or stand behind a wall or building. For the pipe getting hot it sounds like you may be smoking to fast.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Cheers folks, though the reason it is getting to hot is the wind blowing through it, simulating it being smoked if you get what I mean. Like when drawing through it it pulls air through, well a wind does the same thing but it blows it through rather than me toking it. I may have to try those caps though...

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I do try to use my hand to stop wind while still allowing the pipe to breath, but a thumb may work better. The tongue on the stem sounds clever, I'l try that too :puffy:

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
That is a lovely idea Papipeguy, someday someone will really appreciate you walking past in the wind.

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
I've never had the pipe get hot, it usually cools down in the wind for me. I actually enjoy flake tobacco best in the wind because it stays lit nicely. Try some flakes perhaps.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Where do you live snewton? I live in Nova Scotia and I find it near impossible to smoke outside. Every once in a while you get a still day and it is like a gift from the gods to be able to smoke ouside. Haven't tried those windcaps yet. Perhaps I will give them a whirl as well.

nbpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Definitely recommend a wind cap. If I smoke outside anywhere that's not somewhat enclosed (ie. my back deck) I need a wind screen otherwise my bowl smokes itself practically and tastes terrible.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
@Ohin3

I live in england, and through the winter months it can sometimes be quite windy . Those caps are definitely sounding like the answer. Nbpiper is describing the exact same problem i have.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I use one when I am fishing on a boat or walking my dog when it is windy. It also is great for when you pocket your pipe and you do not want tobacco to fall out in your pocket.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
yeah the ol' palm works just great for when a gust comes by or something, but the wind here is constant and I'm not waking around with my hand capped over my pipe...kind of makes it hard to take a leisurely stroll with the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.