PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Does anyone still have these? I have a Santa and a Snowman I put out every year. There's a certain nostalgia to them, although we didn't have them when I was growing up. There is also a warmth to them that inflatables don't have.

5b2b6d2424cd988ece53fb2bc67ba5ba.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
At one time I had about 7-8 of them in my yard. Then the kids grew up and I sold them all at a garage sale for about $5 a piece. I do like them more than the blow ups. I do have one plastic Santa left that I plug in during the holidays (inside the house). Santa's belly lights up with snowflakes. When I dig it out of the attic, I'll post a pic.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
We just broke our Ghost/Pumpkin (aka Casper) that we've owned for 30 years. The top cracked this Halloween.. It's had a rough life. It was stolen off our porch 10 years ago, by hooligans doing Halloween mischief (ie breaking things). They took it, the wife called the police. They knocked on our door at 5 AM and asked if we could identify a Ghost. They caught the guys, and the deputy pulled Casper out of the trunk, I think he enjoyed returning it, from his wry smile at 5 AM. The wife now only puts him out on Trick or Treat, with us (we all get together in the cul-de-sac. Here's Casper in better years. (he was wired to that crate at the time, post-abduction!)

1636235641600.png

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
When I dig it out of the attic, I'll post a pic
Please do Scott, the one I posted is from Google images but I will post up my pair when the time comes.

@ssjones I forgot there are Halloween ones too, glad to hear Casper found its way back to you.

I am one the lookout for a nice Bethlehem/Nativity blow mold star but they are not to be found ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and scloyd

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I thought “blow mold” referred to the inflatable ones. When I imagine them having been put away wet for a year, the first thing they do when you set them up again is to blow mold spores everywhere.

Reactions: Singed

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Too lazy after a trip (and currently watching the Hawks) so I’ll pull ours out and take a pic tomorrow! Wonder what it might be, lol?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The young couple next door have the inflatables for Halloween and Christmas, for their toddler to enjoy, and it gives me a warm feeling to see the effort and celebratory mood. But during the day, both the toddler and I see the various decorations all withered in a pile. The toddler and I both know they will jump to life when summoned, but it is a sad sight to see them all collapsed in piles. I like the blow mold decorations that are full of promise even with their lights off, still fully themselves and full of promise. Progress is a strange concept and often it is no improvement at all. ...See, who says we don't talk about anything but pipes and tobacco? Our range may not be infinite, but it is expansive.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Where my daughter lives in Louisiana, they have a very strange phenomenon with yard decorations. She lives in an upper-middle class neighborhood and everyone goes all out on giant blow-up and stand up decorations for Halloween, with dinosaur skeletons the most popular. They leave these up thru Christmas and decorate the skeletons for that holiday, then in Mardi-Gras colors in February. Here in Maryland, these kind of decoration are not often seen in most neighborhoods.

Reactions: JOHN72

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Those blow-molds just take me back. I like the large blow-mold candles. They used to be really common, now rare.

The old school incandescent Christmas lights are also special. They cast a light like nothing else.

Reactions: MattRVA

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Does anyone still have these? I have a Santa and a Snowman I put out every year. There's a certain nostalgia to them, although we didn't have them when I was growing up. There is also a warmth to them that inflatables don't have.

5b2b6d2424cd988ece53fb2bc67ba5ba.jpg
looks like the guy I clubbed when he tried to break into my house by sneaking down the chimney.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Please do Scott, the one I posted is from Google images but I will post up my pair when the time comes.
Here it is Mike next to it's box. It stands about 24" and it's a Cracker Barrel Old Country Store exclusive. My daughter and son-in-law found it at a garage sale and gifted it to me. There's a light wheel inside that spins and shines snowflakes on Santa's belly. I never set it outside, always stays in the house.

20211107_202539_2.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
looks like the guy I clubbed when he tried to break into my house by sneaking down the chimney.
Same happened here. He managed to get some deer on my roof too, they made an awful mess up there.

I like the large blow-mold candles
I'm looking for a pair of those as well

My daughter and son-in-law found it at a garage sale and gifted it to me
Nice one Scott, looks like Santa has a bit of a tan!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The blow molds I have are more designed for indoor use and a couple of them date back to the 60s I think. I also have one that hangs on the wall and was made before zip codes became standard.

My wife won't let me put them out until the day after Thanksgiving.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Blow molds aren't my preference in outdoor lighting. I much prefer the figures that have the small lights on them particularly if they are chasing lights. Blow ups would be the last thing I'd put in my yard. I just don't care for them. But that's just my preference.

Reactions: JOHN72