PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Too true, Dan. Too true.
If my car didn't also double as a family car I'd probably also always have a five gallon jerry can of gas in the trunk.
One of my best friends here in Toronto is from Saskatchewan (A province that is the same size of Texas, but with a population of only 1.1 million people). One year he and I drove to Florida for a beach vacation with a bunch of friends. I could always tell when we were below half a tank of gas, because buddy would start to get twitchy. Seriously. Sweat would start to bead up on his forehead, he'd start talking about needing to stop... and if we pushed the envelope to the 3/4's empty mark he would literally get angry.
All this anxiety, because we were below half a tank of gas.
Anyone who has driven the Interstate system knows that you can't go 20 miles on most stretches of I-75 without being able to buy gas.
The source of his anxiety? In Saskatchewan, if you were below half a tank, in winter, there was a good chance you were sleeping in your car and a real chance that your life was at risk due to exposure if you didn't have your kit.
Them prairie kids are tough kids.
-- Pat

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I was out of the house at 8:00am today, and the supermarkets were completely out of bread, other than some old stuff laying around. (general NYC area)
After Sandy, I think folks in this area are nervous.

mgolfd

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
I totally agree allan. Sandy definitely seems to have spun storms and preparation in a different way. ie the lines at gas stations this morning.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Toronto is bad enough when winter hits hard, and we (although not as well conditioned as our Buffalonian neighbours) are used to cold and snow... I would hate to see what a massive winter pounding turns NYC into. Y'all just have too many people in too small an area.
Every year I get older, every year the itch to move back to the country gets more noticeable...
-- Pat

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
you can, add an inverter and small electric kettle to that list. Getting hot fluids into a cold body is important. A cup of coffee or hot chocolate was a real treat when I was on the road making pictures, or staking out a news event in the cold.
I carry a Jetboil stove with some bottled water & coffee in my truck all the time. Working outdoors I can take a break & make coffee any time I want. Even instant coffee isn't too bad in a crunch! If I needed to I could probably find a can of soup or some Ramon Noodles in the truck too. Jetboil stoves are expensive and not great for everything but they certainly have a purpose.

Jun 4, 2014
Here in the Poconos we are still getting snow from the Clipper storm that started this morning. The wife's office closed early so thankful she is already home. We will see what tommorow brings!

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
At the risk of forfeiting my curmudgeon card, I'd rather see bold warnings that turn out to be unnecessary than the alternative. We had one of our biggest blizzards in history a few years ago in Chicago. The authorities were pretty clear that it was coming, it was going to be bad, and that you should get the hell off the roads, especially near the lake. However, they didn't actually shut anything down or enforce a travel ban. What happened? People ignored the warnings and hundreds of motorists got trapped on Lake Shore Drive. They all had to abandon their cars in the middle of LSD, tying up a ton of emergency personnel that evening, and a ton of plows and tow trucks the next day. No one died, but those city resources could have been much better utilized digging out the rest of the city instead of the knuckleheads who ignored the warnings.
You don't want to mess with snow once it starts pushing 18+ inches, people. Get home early. If it turns out to be a false alarm, that just means you'll have time to smoke an extra pipe.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'd rather see bold warnings that turn out to be unnecessary than the alternative.
The problem becomes the cry wolf syndrome. After a while, nobody listens. Well, nobody believes anything on the news anyways, so maybe I'm just being redundant here.
They all had to abandon their cars in the middle of LSD
Yeah, acid can make that happen, but it's safer, really.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not in line for this storm, but trying to fill a prescription for my wife at CVS, their system was down and

they couldn't fill it. Fortunately, she has enough for a few days, so we'll try again. CVS is headquartered in

Rhode Island. A Long Island friend says they've told everyone to get their car off the street, not an easy thing

for people who keep their car in the street in NYC. I guess they'll sort it out before or after. $300 fines threatened.

Meantime, most flights to/from the Northeast at Raleigh/Durham airport are cancelled, which is a lot of the

air passenger action there. So, the storm is getting our attention in the occasionally sunny South.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
It was 74 here today and will be 76 tomorrow. Will cool off to about 65 by Sat though.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
We BARELY made 70 degrees today!! Winter sucks.
Thanks for that; you gave me a really good chuckle!
Here in Southern NH, they are predicting 24 to 30 inches, and very high winds.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Unless someone is hacking the radar/Sat images sure looks like a big coming.. 7k flights already cancelled.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
They're telling us that were in line for a blizzard. So far only about 4 inches of snow has fallen, but the real heavy stuff is supposed to start around midnight, and a couple of hours. The governor has closed down all roads in the state (Connecticut,) with a $300 fine for anyone caught driving. stay tuned folks, will keep you posted of developments as they occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.