PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I am sure I could identify a small handful of blends by smell. I'm not sure I could pick them out by smoking. I could get close in family but not specifically. Side by side I could pick them out in multiple choice, I think.
Any blends you know you know?

Mar 1, 2014
Ennerdale. Nothing else like it.

On that point, Mixture 79 would be pretty easy to spot too. And Captain Bob's blend, probably the only grape flavour tobacco in history.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Until about 3 months or so ago, I identified all of my blends purely by scent. My identification rate was 100%, though if it wasn't I really have no way of knowing for sure. It took a shockingly long time to recognize that labels might be helpful.

I will pack a few pipes when I head out to run my rounds to drop off and pick up at other stores, and often I forget what I packed into each pipe, usually between Virginias. But, I have gotten to where I can identify and differentiate Astleys 109, Red Cake, Escudo... but sometimes I get snagged between VaPers. They change flavors sometimes so that when I get convinced that I am smoking Annie Cake, it sometimes will shift to an Escudo like flavor for a bit. It has gotten easier for me to ID the casings on the straight Virginias than VaPers.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
C&D Epiphany - that subtle dark fruit note is unmistakable. I think that goes for most of C&D's topped "American English" blends (Captain Bob's, et. al.)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
While all blends possess their distinctiveness, some are so unlike anything else that they stand out pretty easily for me:
G L Pease Haddo's Delight

Two Friends Valle Crucis

Captain Bob's Blend

Low Country Santee

Anni Kake

Louisiana Red

Old Dark Fired

Esoterica Stonehaven, Brighton & Kingsbridge

P&C's Marquee Series Sweet & Savory

McClelland Grand Oriental Drama Reserve

SPC Deception Pass

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I believe I could pick out the following blends.
Stonehaven

Wessex Brigade Campaigh Dark Fkake

Old Dark Fired

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

Peterson Irish Flake and University Flake

SG St James Flake, Best Brown and FVF

Escudo

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Astleys 109

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Totally from sense of smell, I think the only one I could probably feel confident in identifying would be Shortcut to Mushrooms. My sniffer has never been that great though.

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
Royal Yacht, Semois, Autumn Evening, Irish Oak, and Windy City from my B&M are blends I feel I could confidently pick out.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Wow! You all seem very confident. I'm thinking I should try a smaller rotation to become more intimately familiar with some of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.