PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudeman

Lurker
Jul 10, 2012
The other day I opened my first tin of a Latakia blend. SG Balkan. I stuck my nose in it. I nearly put the flakes in my mouth it smelled just like delicious BBQ. I tried to describe what it's like to smoke Latakia to my girlfriend. And I said, "you know that fantastic new leather smell, now take that and make it toasty and delicious and pretend you are experiencing its essence.....in your mouth." how can you describe it?Also Balkan flake smokes incredibly cool I've never experienced such a cool and non threatening smoke.
Anyway, I also just had my first experience with perique, rattray marlin flake, and I must say its also quite delicious. It added a certain "umami" flavor, an added complexity like succulence or fatties or earthiness, I thought I smelled or tasted mushrooms and other things. I also got some citrus or acidity (which could be from something else).
I would appreciate some suggestions for blends with both perique and Latakia (especially if they are flake tobaccos because I like the ritual that accompanies smoking flakes), or just your favorite shining examples of one or the other.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
SG Balkan is wonderful stuff. I'm gonna have a bowl myself pretty soon.

That being said - there are very few latakia flakes out there. There are some broken flakes (C&D Star of the East, Captain Earle's Ten Russians), and some crumble cakes (Penzance). They might suit you. I am not aware of any flakes/broken flakes/crumble cakes that contain latakia and perique.
The most well known blend with lat and perique is Dunhill's Nightcap, I would think. There may be others I am not aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.