PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wayoutwest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2016
KY
Title edited for caps. Rule 9! -jpm

I'm looking for any and all recommendations that pair well with black coffee. I don't smoke Latakia much anymore, but used to love Chelsea Morning when I did because of how well it paired with coffee. I've tried KBV Burley Morning Pipe and while an excellent blend, I think its really meant to pair with coffee w/ cream. I mostly smoke Virginias, Virginia/Burleys and Virginia/Periques but also enjoy Burley based blends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Carter Hall or Prince Albert; both excellent with black coffee.

Cosmic is right though, just about any good tobacco pairs well. I just have many fond memories of a pipe and coffee on the deck in the mornings and CH / PA were my good morning go to blends.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Kobold
I think some pair better than others. I forgot to mention I've also found Red Virignia's clash with coffee because both are highly acidic. It can make your mouth feel very sour.
Actually, my favorite is reds with my coffee. I love that acidic sweetness that you may be calling sour. I am smoking some Folklore with my coffee now. My favorite is actually just whatever I am smoking at the moment.

GabrielSTB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2022
Philadelphia
I switched to tea recently but I always enjoyed a hearty VaPer or dark fired Kentucky blend with black coffee. Bayou Morning, St. James Flake, Old Dark Fired, or Gawith Kendal Dark are all great pairings.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Everything pairs well with black coffee. Burley is great. Englishes as well. Both pair well with coffee and cream as well. Va and VaPers are great with black coffee, but I’ve found them difficult to taste if I have cream in my coffee.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Must I? I must. Granger’s okaaaay with coffee. I think most of the OTC’s would grab some limelight here.

But I prefer my Pegasus with my morning black coffee more. I’ve been smoking Granger with sweetened hot tea—it somehow makes the flavor pop. Crooner is good too. C&D Winchester another.

Any tobacco can go well with coffee, Cosmic is correct. But certain blends I find respond better with different beverages.

This is entirely personal, of course. I notice that most of the time it’s ice-water that accompanies the myriad of blends JimInks enjoys. So there ya have it.

Reactions: wayoutwest