PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
As jeff540 suggests, isn't black stoved Virginia really Cavendish by another name? Or is there a nuance here I'm missing? Cavendish can be made from Virgnia, burley, and maybe most other varieties, but I think it may be the same process. I'm still holding an unopened tin of McC's Dark Star, which I've been instructed (on Forums) may need a little extra rubbing out or grating to burn evenly.
I've often wondered the same thing, it sure seems like you are probably correct. Heard the same about Dark Star, but not holding any tins. Haven't found any out there for a price I am willing to pay yet. Part of why I started this thread honestly is to try and find some blends to smoke to see if I like them enough to pony up for some of the McClelland tins If I ever find any for a (relatively) reasonable gouging.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I mentioned before that I kind of expected to like the Watch City blends I tried just based on their rep, but I was still surprised by how good they were.
Definitely going to be paying them and peretti both a visit soon to get a few to try. Haven't heard a bad word about either yet from forum members.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe it's only that I have several McClellends unopened tins, but I'm prone to find blends on the market that I enjoy rather than try to backtrack to matches to the discontinued. Some of them are excellent, but usually in their own right, not as a real duplicate. I might like Home and Hearth Chestnut better than I would a tub of Walnut itself.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Cortez is spot on with the McC recommendations.
Many of their Latakia mixtures contained Black Virginia. 5105 bulk Stoved Virginia is (was) wonderful stuff.
One of my favourites is GKCPC Nocturne. Seems I remember reading or hearing that McC named this blend after the liberal use of black Stoved Va. I've no way of proving this, but it's a neat story. :wink:
McC New Century is loaded with the stoved black stuff as well.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
McConnells Rich Dark Virginia is my new favorite for the straight black stoved VA. It's one of those
dark horse blends that doesn't get much attention, but I've been testing it against Sutliff 5105 Stoved Virginia and it beats it in flavor by a long shot.

Reactions: rushx9 and vates

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
McConnells Rich Dark Virginia is my new favorite for the straight black stoved VA. It's one of those
dark horse blends that doesn't get much attention, but I've been testing it against Sutliff 5105 Stoved Virginia and it beats it in flavor by a long shot.

View attachment 17311
Resurrected from the grave, this thread! Haha. I have a tin of this now, will give it a shot soon. Also picked up a couple tins of Butera Dark Stoved. A great McClelland VA for sure, and unique, flakes like beef jerky. Still can’t hold a candle to 40th Anniversary though, but just fine!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Deleted comment because I didn't know it was an oldie I'd already pimped 558 in
Haha, yeah an easy mistake. This thread is so old it farts dust. That being said, 558 has been acquired, but I have yet to try it. I do like the Ahab’s comfort, though not what I was searching for with this thread, its a fine english. Needs a fair amount of drying time though, crumbles a little chunky.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Ok sure, the thread is six months old but that seems like fair play to me. Plus I didn't want to start a new thread just to say "Hey, try McConnells" :)
Haha, no complaint from me! Might have the mods shitting a hole through the back of their desk chairs, but as far as I’m concerned, STICK IT TO THE MAN!!!!

Just kidding mods, please don’t delete my account, I need this.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Tell me about the Butera once you try it. I've been eyeballing getting a tin, but everything Butera is in the skyhigh price range these days.

It’s quite good. Needs to dry for a while, as the flakes are thick, moist, and meaty (that’s what she said!). But it’s very good. I do like 40th anny and xmas cheer better, but its a very rich and cool smoke. More straightforward than I was expecting, but a fine blend. Got that classic McClelland boner inducing ketchup tin note. Could easily smoke it all day, no bite whatsoever.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Xmas Cheer and 40th are different animals though. Straight dark stoved VA is going to be milder by nature.

By the way, just cross the Sutliff 507-s off your list. It's complete boring hog shit compared to McConnell.

Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Xmas Cheer and 40th are different animals though. Straight dark stoved VA is going to be milder by nature.

By the way, just cross the Sutliff 507-s off your list. It's complete boring hog shit compared to McConnell.
Agreed. Sometimes I like that milder flavor though, and they tend to smoke so cool. The Butera does hit the spot in that regard. If I hadn’t got a good deal on the tins though, I’m not sure I’d pony up for the price these days. It’s a great dark VA, but with Wessex Brigade, Astleys 44, and the Gawith options out there, hard to justify seeking it out.

I have both the mcconnell and the sutliff on hand. Bought both for blending purposes but will fire up a straight bowl soon enough.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
The Gawith option is??
In my mind I was referring to Dark Flake Unscented. Granted thats a fired Va/bur and not really the same, they all sit in the same place in my cellar so my brain puts them together, sorry haha. My cellar is more classified by the itch those blends scratch rather than true categories, although its mostly organized, haha. It is much more of a beast than a straight stoved va for sure.

I guess they do make a dark va cavendish, but im not sure if its topped or not. Heard of it but never had it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'll give it a shot.
By the way, is the Butera anything like Dark Star?

Oh shit! If you haven’t had it Dark Flake Unscented is an absolute MUST TRY! A great blend with plenty of whomp!

I haven’t had Dark Star so I can’t say, but based on the descriptions I’ve heard yes they sound very similar. Right down to construction, thick meaty flakes that need dry time. Even then took several lights before it finally took off.

Reactions: vates and logs

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
All right then, Dark Flake Unscented it is! puffy

Yeah, get you some of that. If you have trouble finding some I can’t point you in that direction. Again, it is much more than a dark stoved va though, just FYI. But a super tasty, strong, straightforward blend.

PS just did a quick google search of “Dark Star vs Dark Stoved” and the threads that surfaced all had folks making direct comparisons, all of which described them as quite similar FWIW

Reactions: artvandelay007
Status
Not open for further replies.