Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Astley's - No.88 Matured Dark Virginia

Seattle Pipe Club - Plum Pudding Special Reserve, Mississippi River

Esoterica Tobacciana - Kingsbridge

Sutliff Stoved Black Virginia 507-S

Two Friends Deacon's Downfall
McClelland produced many blends with black stoved Va., but listing them is pointless.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
McClelland produced many blends with black stoved Va., but listing them is useless.
Not necessarily. I have been able to find a few for (relatively) reasonable prices on occasion. I am aware of Dark Star and Blackwoods. Are there other good ones they made?
Thanks for the above recommendations. I have the other two, but I'll check out the Astley's.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Watch City Rhythm & Blues is superb
I have yet to order anything from Watch City. Are there other blends of theirs you would recommend? If so, what are they called and what are they?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
McClelland - Blackwoods Flake (Personal Reserve)

- Red and Black (Club Blends)

- St. James Woods (Personal Reserve)

- Deep Hollow (Craftsbury Series)

- CORPS Sophisticate (Club Blends)

- PCCA - Tudor

- No. 5120 Fragrant Virginia Blend

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I seem to recall that Rattray's produced some blends with black stoved Va. Check out some of their product descriptions. Maybe Dark Fragrant or Black Virginia or something like that.

Reactions: Road To Pines

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I consider black stoved Virginia the true Cavendish type, FWIW.
Adding to the list based on my cellar:
McClelland 2035 Dark Navy Flake

Butera Dark Stoved (by McClelland)
Esoterica Blackpool
There's also some of the black bits in other Esoterica blends to a lesser extant (Dunbar, Brighton, etc.)
I never noticed this component in McClelland's Deep Hollow, but that's not to say it was absent from the blend.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have yet to order anything from Watch City. Are there other blends of theirs you would recommend? If so, what are they called and what are they?
It depends on what type of blends you prefer. I have pounds of the Simply Red (Straight Red Va) and Rhythm & Blues. Watch City Slices are considered by many the best straight Burley blend. I like the Slices but prefer Deluxe Curly Cut, really good. Persian Slipper is a mild to medium Oriental with fabulous flavors. Quint's Own is a milder English Blend that is very nice. Old Dominion is a top notch VaPer. Northeaster is really good, I believe he calls it an American blend. Got some Fat Bastard on order, a Scottish blend. I think Watch City and Peretti's are the two best B&M blenders in the US.

Reactions: litup

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Went and checked it out. Simply Red and Rhythm and Blues are both sold out :(
I'll circle back around and check later though, those slices and the VaPer sound tasty. Have you tried the Churchwarden at all? It sounds interesting as well...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
A lot of great stuff already mentioned I’ll add:
McConnell’s Mature (lightly topped but delicious)

Wessex Campaign Dark Flake (Brigade)

Dunhill Dark Flake (coming back for like a day)
I’m sure there are more that I’m missing, I love a dark VA.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Rythym and Blues is a really flavorful tobacco, and easy to keep lit. Really did the stoved Va right on that one.
I ordered a bit of 558, Old Dominion and Slices, and I think my favorite was 558. All good but that one stood out amongst those three.
Rattrays Dark Fragrant as noted above is stoved, but wasn't really impressed with it.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
You inquired after Watch City's blends. In addition to Hoosierpipeguy's fine list of their offerings, I would add their crumble kake Ahab's Comfort which brims with Latakia, orientals, virginias, burley and even perique. Complex and tasty.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As jeff540 suggests, isn't black stoved Virginia really Cavendish by another name? Or is there a nuance here I'm missing? Cavendish can be made from Virgnia, burley, and maybe most other varieties, but I think it may be the same process. I'm still holding an unopened tin of McC's Dark Star, which I've been instructed (on Forums) may need a little extra rubbing out or grating to burn evenly.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Yo Alaskan, Watch City's Flake 558 uses it as a condiment, and that blend is probably my favorite VaPer type blend at the moment. Second stbruno's rec for Ahab's Comfort which is their take on Penzance (not sure if stoved VAs in that or not, though). It's good and quite Lat-forward which I know you like. I mentioned before that I kind of expected to like the Watch City blends I tried just based on their rep, but I was still surprised by how good they were. They use that same Sutliff style crumble cake like the SPC blends, which I like.
I wouldn't mind trying more stoved VAs myself, as my experience is pretty limited, aside from some McClellands I had back a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.