PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I'll like to her your experience about. Meanly pushing Virginias. A have several Virginias that I don't like much like their are

Last edited by a moderator:

davek

Mar 20, 2014
IMO, cigar leaf will taste much stronger in a pipe. I used to purchase whole leaf from Leaf Only and mostly bought cigar leaf. I've rolled cigars out of it and I've (more commonly) smoked it in a pipe. Some leaf was so strong (in taste) that I could only smoke it mixed with other, more mellow, leaf at about 10%. The same leaf rolled a strong, but palatable, cigar.

IME, the taste is very similar but quite a bit stronger.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’m very tempted to personally cut up an LGC Wavell Natural wrapper, and maybe an LADC Mi Amor and try them in a cob.

It may be a summer event as I tend to grab the sticks in the hot humid summers.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
I like filling a bowl nearly full and then cutting a short piece of a cigar and sticking it on top.

• Wow
Reactions: Mis Pipas

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find C&D Cigar Leaf pretty mild, such that I usually mix it with something else to bring it up a little, or use it to mellow out something else. So there is probably quite a range in various varieties and how they are processed, as to how they play in a pipe. None that I've tasted has any cigar experience to it, which is fine with me. If I want a cigar, I'll buy one, or some. But good cigars cost the same as a premium tin of pipe tobacco and the tin will give you twenty smokes, so it's like a bribe to smoke a pipe. Also, the pipe experience is more participatory. You can mix it, dry it, smoke different size bowls with different shaped chambers, etc. etc. But I find cigar leaf an interesting condiment. I love Latakia and Perique, but they are so overused, it dampens the joy, and sometimes they're not well used.

Mis Pipas

Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
I find C&D Cigar Leaf pretty mild, such that I usually mix it with something else to bring it up a little, or use it to mellow out something else. So there is probably quite a range in various varieties and how they are processed, as to how they play in a pipe. None that I've tasted has any cigar experience to it, which is fine with me. If I want a cigar, I'll buy one, or some. But good cigars cost the same as a premium tin of pipe tobacco and the tin will give you twenty smokes, so it's like a bribe to smoke a pipe. Also, the pipe experience is more participatory. You can mix it, dry it, smoke different size bowls with different shaped chambers, etc. etc. But I find cigar leaf an interesting condiment. I love Latakia and Perique, but they are so overused, it dampens the joy, and sometimes they're not well used.

Mis Pipas

Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
THK

Jun 9, 2018
England
The only time I've added cigar leaf is to GQ Tobaccos Clementine's Nip (blend it yourself kit). The instructions said you could crumble a small Cuban mini into it.
Even though it was only one small cigar in 50g of tobacco you could definitely taste the difference (I tried it before I crumbled the cigar into it.)

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
A small amount of cigar leaf added to Virginias can help remedy one big issue with Virginias. They tend to have a thin smoke so some people start puffing faster to get more smoke. Cigar leaf produces a lot of smoke, so adding some can solve that "problem". Also, it will add some body to make it feel more satisfying.

Russ

Mis Pipas

Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
A small amount of cigar leaf added to Virginias can help remedy one big issue with Virginias. They tend to have a thin smoke so some people start puffing faster to get more smoke. Cigar leaf produces a lot of smoke, so adding some can solve that "problem". Also, it will add some body to make it feel more satisfying.

Russ
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT. BUT I AM NOT LOOKING TO MAKE MORE SMOKE, ALREADY FORGET THAT STAGE

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have a jar of nicaraguan cigar leaf that I've experimented with. It will add body to a blend and make it more creamy. I prefer a lot of smoke myself, so the cigar leaf also works well with English tobaccos that have a lighter/thinner profile. I will need to do more experiments.

You may want to try some experiments yourself. If you have access to Habanos in Jerasulem, you can buy a Jose L. Piedra or Quintero and cut it up. They are short filler and not as expensive as the high end brands. They still offer the rich flavor of cuban cigar leaf, though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Russ, thank you for the cigar leaf lore. It's good to hear from a professional blender to help reflect on my own experience. Your comments will be interesting to incorporate in my own home mixes ... not really blends with no heat, pressure or aging. Tinkering with mixes is one of the pleasures of pipe smoking and makes me appreciate the professionals.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
There are several good cigar leaf blends out there; C&D Sansepolcro and Warped blends to name a couple. Got to admit I really enjoy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.