PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I enjoy trying my own blends. I mixed up a Cherry/Crooner mix that I like, for instance. I've been experimenting with a Mixture 79/War Horse Green blend. I've found the WHG adds some extra depth to the Mixture 79. I'm thinking of doing a full tub of 79 with two ounces of WHG

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden
Disgusted GIF - Find on GIFER

It's not exactly my style of blend, but I'm glad that you are having fun.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
@cosmicfolklore I'm afraid I'm not bold enough yet to try anything too adventurous. My Grandfather would always throw the last of his cherry tobacco in with his Mixture 79. That's about the extent of blending I've tried so far...working up to bigger things, haha!

Mar 1, 2014
I find as often as not it works well enough to just take any two things that you like and mix them together.
The biggest danger is trying to recreate blends with base components you're not familiar with, adding too much Izmir can flatten an English blend pretty quickly.

Reactions: Donb1972

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I enjoy trying my own blends. I mixed up a Cherry/Crooner mix that I like, for instance. I've been experimenting with a Mixture 79/War Horse Green blend. I've found the WHG adds some extra depth to the Mixture 79. I'm thinking of doing a full tub of 79 with two ounces of WHG
Do you find it adds a depth in the topping flavour? Or the body/tobacco component of the smoke?

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
Do you find it adds a depth in the topping flavour? Or the body/tobacco component of the smoke?
I'm not really a big tobacco connoisseur...I enjoy exactly 4 tobaccos, 2 of which are codger blends, haha.

To my senses, Mixture 79 has a much stronger top. But the addition of the WHG seems to bring it closer to what I remember the old Mixture 79 was like. It adds a certain extra floral-y/muskiness that they seem to have taken out of the 79. And it does add some body to the tobacco itself. It ups the nic content a bit...gives it a little more oomph.

Reactions: Ahi Ka