PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
When I didn't have Carter Hall here in my house to tone down harsh stuff, I used 7 Seas Regular to tone down Irish Flake. It actually worked out great.
I don't see people talking about blending aros with non-aros.
Have you ever blended aros with non-aromatics? Please tell your experiences and preferences.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Quite often. I like blending heavy Lat blends with vanilla, chocolate or caramel aros. Penzance + 1-Q is a good one, Pirate Kake + Trout Stream is another.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
It all depends what you consider an aromatic. Some people would consider Carter Hall an aromatic, but I don't. I use Lane Limited BCA as a mixer for some of my burley and Latakia blends.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
1-Q mixes with damn near everything. I use it occasionally to sweeten up some stronger non-aro blends.
Not sure if this counts but I'm really liking 5 Brothers 50/50 with Carter Hall to add that lovely nicotine kick.
Might try 5 Bros and 1-Q next.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Machado, I know you don't have access to an unlimited array of tobaccos, so I think your mixes are a good initiative, more power to you. Having a few more options, I prefer to keep mixes simple, so I'd lean toward adding condiment tobaccos rather than two different blends, non-aro and aro, just to not get too many flavors trying to merge. Cigar leaf, plain Virginia or burley, Latakia, Perique, or unflavored Cavendish can serve nicely. But I'd sure try mixing any two that strike your fancy; mix them in a small bowl before packing the bowl of your pipe, maybe a few pipe bowls at a time. Some just won't work; some will be satisfactory; some will be excellent.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Ash, where's the fire?
Today it's a Condo,Yesterday it was a pick-up truck and the day before it was squatters and the day before that it was a bedroom fire followed by an exhaust fan fire at a different residence.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Machado, I know you don't have access to an unlimited array of tobaccos, so I think your mixes are a good initiative, more power to you.
Thanks, MSO! I'm getting my hands on more tobacco now... Trying to get it from many different ways! It's been amazing to get away from smoking drugstore aromatics every single day. Though I still enjoy throwing some 7 Seas into the mix etc. And some cheap stuff that I found like RYO Virginia and rope tobacco are good too!
But I'd sure try mixing any two that strike your fancy; mix them in a small bowl before packing the bowl of your pipe, maybe a few pipe bowls at a time. Some just won't work; some will be satisfactory; some will be excellent.
Yes... That's what I'm doing. But, for example, I like to mix similar-profile flavored blends... Like earthy/nutty + vanilla/chocolatey. Never ventured too far as to throw a Latakia in the mix. I'm kind of "afraid". Going to break the taboo soon I guess.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
7 Seas is not bad. It might not be snob tobacco as it was made to compete with Captain Black, but I wouldn't rate it as an OTC.
Not bad at all! I mix it with Stanwell Melange and Carter Hall to make a nutty/chocolate-ish blend that tastes amazing!
But what exactly is OTC?
These terms confuse me a little.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But what exactly is OTC?
These terms confuse me a little.
A total misnomer. An uppity name given to tobaccos formerly found in drug stores such as Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Captain Black. "Over The Counter".

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
A total misnomer. An uppity name given to tobaccos formerly found in drug stores such as Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Captain Black. "Over The Counter".
I always knew about OTC medications, but "OTC tobacco" always sounded strange to me.
It makes some sense now.
I don't find Carter Hall and Captain Black to be bad, after all. Carter Hall is great to blend with anything, and I could do the same with CB, actually.
Don't know about Prince Albert.

In the US, when we go to a gas station or a drug store, the cigarettes are behind the counter, with some cheap cigars and cheap pipe tobaccos. These blends were the staple of the working man's tobacco consumption from the 1920's till now. The OTC pipe tobaccos are known for having a lot of chemicals in them to keep them fresh for the loooooooooong period of time they will set on the counter waiting to be sold.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I have a big zip loc bag i put all my left over fragments of plugs and flakes that accumulate on my cutting board i keep some molte dolce in the bag keeps everything from turning to dust and taste pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.