PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
Do you have any tobaccos that you keep just for treats ? I have some Solani 660 Silver Flake that has been jarred for about 6 months. I find I appreciate it more if I reserve it as a treat for long contemplative smokes. Nice change of pace and very tasty.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Having enjoyed the past time...for some time, the tins from houses now gone are ones that fall into that category. If I had to pick one it might be Chief Catoonah Bailey's mixture. He had two versions supreme and reserve and I can't remember which one came first but I have both in the cellar and they are swell.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
Yes. I have a whole box full of “treats” which are tobaccos that I really like that are hard or impossible to come by. Esoterica blends, McClelland, FVF, happy bogie, aged Old Gowrie, mccrannies, state express tobacco, among a few others. Once a day I dig into the box and treat myself. Once or twice a year I splurge and replenish the box.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I keep my stinky Latakia sessions for when I'm with my brother. That's definitely somewhat of a treat.

Ten to Midnight is always a treat, even though I have a pound of it. I always save that blend for a quiet, uninterrupted, contemplative smoke and that's rare.

For "treat" meaning satisfying a sweet tooth, I always enjoy when I carve out time for Bob's Chocolate and Mac's Vanilla.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I've got a couple. Most of my smoking is comprised of cheaper bulks, but I do have a few jars that are set aside for special occasions. I've got a few bowls worth of some McCellands Anniversary, from the first year they did it (2002 maybe?) as well as some old Old Gowrie from 2013 that are my oldest tobaccos, but I've also got some harder to find stuff like FVF that I only smoke when I know I've got the time to relax and appreciate it, since a lot of my smoking is done in 10-15 minute increments when I can get a moment to enjoy a puff or three.

So now that I think of it, any blend really that doesn't come in a big sack is a "special treat" blend for me.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Most of my McClelland blends are "special occasion" smokes. I'll smoke McCranies more often than I should, but to keep from blowing through the stuff I try to limit it to special occasions (which are surprisingly easy to come up with). And I've got some special aged tins set aside for group openings at my club, anniversaries, family vacations or with close friends, etc.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Having experienced discontinued blends in the late '90s and early 2000s, when I found a blend I liked I quickly bought 5-10 pounds of it. Really nothing I put back for special occasions now but I do fully enjoy every smoke.

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I smoke G L Pease Key Largo as a special treat. I'm in the UK and it's difficult to get. But it's a real pleasure. There is just something about it.

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I mostly smoke and enjoy bulk tobacco from an assortment of blenders. When I want a special treat (like now, birthday week) I open a tin of something that I‘ve been aging (currently some older Maltese Falcon).

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
All of my McClelland and McCrainie’s stash. I have healthy amounts of both, but I’m careful with them now. CC and 40th Anniversary were always special occasion smokes for me prior to the McC apocalypse, so that hasn’t changed. However, what had been regular rotation blends for me like Navy Cavendish (my all time favorite blend), Classic Samsun, McCrainie’s Red Flake, and 5100 are all now in the deliberately rationed category. As I mentioned, I have “enough” of all, so I’m not complaining too much. I’ve also found a handful of readily available blends that I like just as much (except for you, Navy Cav), so all is well.