PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Question for those more experienced than myself, or really anyone, that has any recommendations…

I’m finally beginning to get beyond overthinking every aspect of pipe smoking and starting to settle into my way (based heavily on things I’ve learned on this forum, along with finding my likes and dislikes of different tobacco’s).

I’m now comfortable with trying out some different blends, within my ‘like’ category, which consists of Latakia, Kentucky, Red Virginia, and light Perique. I also enjoy burley as long as there’s other tobacco’s to reduce the burn. I recently received an order of Bourbon Barrel aged Plum Pudding and some Black Frigate. WOW…. I find them both really good with a little different spin on the blends I’ve been enjoying and was curious if anyone had recommendations on other blends that compare to Black Frigate? I really enjoy SPC PP, but Black Frigate has got me constantly wanting more!

I think I would be perfectly content with the 7-8 tobaccos that I currently rotate, however, I’m about to place an order to stock up and cellar some that I really enjoy and thought it would be a good time to try a couple of new ones that are similar/better than Black Frigate (if one exists 🤔).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Reactions: yanoJL and Scottmi

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Ugh almost had me interested. I keep hoping to stumble upon something along the lines of blockade runner with Kentucky or sixpence without perique.
I would be interested as well. I’ve not tried either of the above mentioned, however, I don’t care for too much Perique. I thought about Blockade Runner, but several reviews indicated that it burns hot and has some pretty rough edges. What’s your experience with it?

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I would be interested as well. I’ve not tried either of the above mentioned, however, I don’t care for too much Perique. I thought about Blockade Runner, but several reviews indicated that it burns hot and has some pretty rough edges. What’s your experience with it?
I love blockade runner and the crumble cake format. The leaves are thin and I guess could burn hot, but it’s certainly one of my favorites.

I also enjoyed my tin of sixpense very much but I really want it without the perique as I’m not a perique fan. I was hoping it would close to what I wanted in a stouter, bolder blockade runner to stock up on and it almost was if it wasn’t for the perique.

Reactions: Relax62

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ugh almost had me interested. I keep hoping to stumble upon something along the lines of blockade runner with Kentucky or sixpence without perique.
Black Frigate and Sextant don't have Perique.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't know if this fits the bill but I really like H.h. Macbarren latakia flake. Although people say it's not a strong latakia I love that one. I think it's strong but with the harsh edges polished well off. And for random gut feeling try C&D Burly Flake #5. I just think you'll like it but you know what they say about taking advice from some idiot online (that it can't go wrong and should be followed without consideration or thought, only lightening fast reactivity).

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Not necessarily the rum coating that is in BF but here are some that come to mind with the same ingredients essentially:

Peretti's Cuban Mix
Watch City's Nor'easter
Russ' Tastykake & Bengal Slices
C&D's Super Balkan
Boswell's Countryside & Northwoods
Country Squire's Shepard Pie
Wilke's 524

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don’t want orientals either. I’ve hemmed and hawed over getting a ton of black frigate because I like blockade runner so much, but I think I really want that Kentucky that sixpense offered vs the Latakia black frigate has added.
Unless they've changed the blend in the past few years, the latakia is far in the background in BF. I get more of the Virginias and the Turkish.