PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if 4Noggins is having a Black Friday sale today (Black Friday)? I went to their website but it looks like there are regular prices. Just wondering if anyone has an idea. Being in Canada, they are my retailer of choice. Thanks!

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
You just missed a 20% off GL Pease blends. Perhaps it is still active.

The site appears to be based on the 'shopify' platform. From what I have seen, the discount only shows up when you put it in your cart and go to check out. No need to pay before seeing the discount, but you do have to put it in your cart.

Side note, I ordered four 16oz tins of Haddo's on a previous 10% deal a little while back. Customs got it and assessed about $1,400 in tax.

In total, with shipping, that makes for a price tag of $1,800 for 4 pounds of tobacco.

That's something our American friends will never fully grasp, I'm sure. It's too abstract until you have to physically open your wallet and pay. Some people here suggest that you ought to pony up if you want to enjoy the ride, no matter what, but I think that's quite simplistic and easy to say. When the rubber hits the road, I suspect a $1,800 price tag might change the tune of some pipers that hang around here.

Perhaps Australia has it worse.

Brazil has everyone beat; they do not allow for the import of any tobacco. So straight out of the gate, 90% of U.S. sources simply refuse to process an order.

Well, three cheers for the 4Noggins, helping to keep things real out there...

• Wow
Reactions: romaso

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated. So far, I've had good luck with 4Noggins. I've been dinged by customs only a few times, but I hear what you're saying. It's outrageous and so arbitrary. I may hold off and wait now that Customs is wise to 4Noggins.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I may hold off and wait now that Customs is wise to 4Noggins
It's just a matter of luck. Anyone who orders from them can see that they're not doing anything illegal. My packages are always accurately described by them. They're just not as explicit as some other options and can be selective about what it is that they are describing. Customs won't throw out your order. At worst case, they return it to the sender and ask for more clarification.

For example... I have never had a package labelled "books" or something completely insane. It's just usually something a little less descriptive (and not illegal), which can sometimes result in a request to clarify. Or, in other cases, they just open it up and see that those tins have tobacco in them and charge you $1,400 for it.

So, I don't think customs is "wise" to them. It's just a roll of the dice, like everything else that is imported into a country. Sometimes you get taxed, sometimes you don't.

I've had a $1,000 pipe come through without tax (clearly labelled) and another one from the exact same vendor with the exact same description (tobacco pipe) with the import tax charge.

They don't assess every single piece of mail that comes into a country. Yet.

I think you're safe to keep ordering. It's all quite random, for now.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
It's just a matter of luck. Anyone who orders from them can see that they're not doing anything illegal. My packages are always accurately described by them. They're just not as explicit as some other options and can be selective about what it is that they are describing. Customs won't throw out your order. At worst case, they return it to the sender and ask for more clarification.

For example... I have never had a package labelled "books" or something completely insane. It's just usually something a little less descriptive (and not illegal), which can sometimes result in a request to clarify. Or, in other cases, they just open it up and see that those tins have tobacco in them and charge you $1,400 for it.

So, I don't think customs is "wise" to them. It's just a roll of the dice, like everything else that is imported into a country. Sometimes you get taxed, sometimes you don't.

I've had a $1,000 pipe come through without tax (clearly labelled) and another one from the exact same vendor with the exact same description (tobacco pipe) with the import tax charge.

They don't assess every single piece of mail that comes into a country. Yet.

I think you're safe to keep ordering. It's all quite random, for now.
I think it's pretty safe as well. Even when I was ordering regularly from Smokingpipes, I would end up paying customs a little under 1/2 of the time. And even with that, it would only come out to what I would've paid in Canada anyway. But I did get some tobaccos that I have a hard time finding here, so in the end, I was willing to roll the dice. I think what may have been an issue, is 4 - 16oz tins. I've never went over 4 - 2oz tins. Keeping it to smaller quantities usually draws less attention to it. Pipes I've ordered from smokingpipes - never have paid duty. It's only when I've ordered from Europe with courier services that I've had to pay it. For the tobacco, keep the quantities smaller and I don't think you'll have an issue. (Oh - and I looked for the 20% offer - seems to be gone now).

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Perhaps Australia has it worse.

Brazil has everyone beat; they do not allow for the import of any tobacco. So straight out of the gate, 90% of U.S. sources simply refuse to process an order.

Well, three cheers for the 4Noggins, helping to keep things real out there...

Well, if Australian customs gets a hold of it it's now destroyed ; so instead of getting tax revenue they now get sweet FA.

But the kids are kept safe now and I have an abundance of hobby supplies...