PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
It seems awfully unreasonable of the dealer to not give you satisfaction, one way or the other. for damage caused by a very minimum of use.
To make it clear, I asked the seller 3 options: refund me, replace the pipe, or the simpler option, just have a return request by any shipping courier for me; basically paying for the return of the pipe and fixing it for me. He refused all those, and he is claiming he can offer me a deal next time I purchase again from him based on the price of the shipping costs that I pay, and fix the pipe for free. In Saudi Arabia, the fee's go around a 100$+, I believe similar to Canada shipping to European countries. It is not cheap, and most carriers don't export pipes or tobacco's either way. I am stuck to try to hassle my way through a carrier that will ship the item, and for reasonable fee's. As someone who payed 650$ in total for the pipe, shipping, and + taxes, this is the last thing I want to encounter.

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Seller refusing this to be a defect is seriously bad form in my books.
How can 2 days or 5 bowls honestly be all on the user.

Is this from Eltang direct or someone else selling a new pipe of theirs ?
A online merchant, one of Tom's certified dealerships.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

Browny

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2022
Great Southern Land
Decent bit of coin spent, I would be expecting a lot more care personally.

Not direct but next best thing.
Not a good look for Eltang to be honest, is it.

If it was me, I would request refund and not be touching Eltang again after that 'service'.

Last edited:

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Decent bit of coin spent, I would be expecting a lot more care personally.

Not direct but next best thing.
Not a good look for Eltang to be honest, is it.

If it was me, I would request refund and not be touching Eltang again after that 'service'.
I respect Tom eltang, and just more confused how both his and the seller assessment is a “bite trough” not realizing the ridiculous circumstance of it happening in just 2 days, while also offering half compensation for repair…as long as I pay a good 100$+ to ship it back or else “ there isn’t anything we can do until we receive the pipe” stance. I wouldn’t mind that… but they won’t pay for returns. Why should I pay to fix a product that couldn’t hold for 2 days?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This is a shitshow for everyone involved.

Tom & other carvers who "chase thinness" when it comes to stems because they "disappear" in your mouth, are uber comfortable, & etc., don't want to give up doing it because for many smokers it's a plus. A sales feature.

But if the high spots on someone's teeth happen to align just so, with a pressure point landing on a thin spot, such stems will crack in a heartbeat.

The lesson, obviously, is clenchers shouldn't buy such pipes in the first place. They should be considered in-hand pipes. "Holders"

But how can they know unless the seller can determine stem delicacy and tells them before purchase?

The best retailers will be glad to do so---if buying from Smokingpipes, ask to speak to Adam Davidson. If Blue Room Briars, either Jesse or Scott will be glad to answer any questions along that line, and are qualified to answer. I'm sure there are others.

But buy from a photo, while in a different country, with plastic, and no humans involved?

Welcome to the Internet Era.

Back when pipes were sold over the counter at B&M's, such subtleties were part of the in-hand examination.

I can think of no solution to this case where everyone will be happy. The seller thinks anyone who wants a small artisan pipe knows what they were getting into stem-wise, or, if they didn't, they should.

The buyer is rightfully upset that he spent a good chuck on a marquee name pipe and it broke within 48 hours. And the only way out of the woods is to spend more money.

All I can suggest is if does get sent back to Tom (or one of his people) to be re-stemmed, that the new one be made FOR a known clencher. Keep the funnel fairly narrow, and the thickness behind the button between .165" and .170" (It's no more work... it would be slightly less, in fact.)

mosin1932

Lurker
Jan 10, 2023
I would say contact the actual manufacturer, I'm not very familiar with Eltang but if someone is out there selling Eltang's name on a product that is substandard/defective, I doubt they would be okay with that. Just ask the manufacturer what thickness they make their bits, and then measure the thickness of yours. If it's obviously too thin, then it should have never passed quality control they should warranty it. Having your name on a product used to mean something so I hope you get it sorted out in your favor. Keep us updated though!

On a side not, I am sick and tired of company's selling defective/broken products and then refusing to pay for return shipping, they are basically asking you to pay more to get the original product you ordered in the first place.

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
I would say contact the actual manufacturer, I'm not very familiar with Eltang but if someone is out there selling Eltang's name on a product that is substandard/defective, I doubt they would be okay with that. Just ask the manufacturer what thickness they make their bits, and then measure the thickness of yours. If it's obviously too thin, then it should have never passed quality control they should warranty it. Having your name on a product used to mean something so I hope you get it sorted out in your favor. Keep us updated though!

On a side not, I am sick and tired of company's selling defective/broken products and then refusing to pay for return shipping, they are basically asking you to pay more to get the original product you ordered in the first place.
I did contact Tom via email, his reply or one of his associates was that " The "seller" will take care of you" even though I explained my situation in detail and provided the images, plus informing them that I came to them specifically because the seller wouldn't corporate in replacement, refund, or even pay to ship my pipe back to repair it. I am trying to find my way out of this 650$+ mess.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I also bought from the same vendor and had issues with some of his products.

He has proven to be very uncooperative.

To make a very long story short, I had to conclude the gentleman thinks he is exempt from having to provide customer after sales service.

Reactions: Law

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But this is a 2 day old, $650 artisan pipe, not even close to the same realm.
When you get up into that realm, you're mostly paying for a name and aesthetics, I had an $800 straight billiard that wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner. A quick hard bite will do the same thing to a stem whether it's newly bought or 100 years old. I'd contact Briarville to make a replacement if the dealer doesn't come through.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
what pisses me off here is the way I am reading this is the selllers is taking the stance of shipping from where they're at to where you're at and the other way round is too expensive. To me that says it's should still be their responsibility. I've had plenty of times a seller doesn't ship something to my country I ask them about it they say that's the reason. I say I really want that thing and we work out the details. And if this happens it's fine because it's what we agreed too. But when a seller does this without making it clear, I feel like they're not taking responsibility for the operational costs they should either take on or not all and passing it on to the customer. Of course there are certain assumptions maybe they made it clear what their policy is.
And sadly when buying a pipe read the return policy especially if it's really expensive. And yes that's kind of like reminding people to lock their doors. You should not have to do either but the reality is that you do and that doesn't really make it fair.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
When you get up into that realm, you're mostly paying for a name and aesthetics, I had an $800 straight billiard that wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner. A quick hard bite will do the same thing to a stem whether it's newly bought or 100 years old. I'd contact Briarville to make a replacement if the dealer doesn't come through.
I have also been wondering if higher end (in price) are being sold to collectors more then smokers (I know there is a lot of cross over) to the point where the people making those pipes consider smoking quality more on a level of it being technically a pipe. Like when the pipe is made they imagine it most likely put on display and if smoked it being a special occasion or show off situation (I wonder how many people go to a pipe show and smoke only their most expensive pipes, because they're finally in a crowd that will notice).

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Manufacturing defect.

While I agree that artisan pipes do not have the same quality control as a factory pipe, a pipe is still meant to be smoked. If they want you to only put it in your hand or show on a display stand, then they should have a label stating "No meant to be smoked" on it. 2 bowls is not even a break in.

Yes, be more careful with an artisan pipe but it still should stand up to normal wear and tear of its intended purpose. A pipe is a FUNCTIONAL piece of art.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Manufacturing defect.

While I agree that artisan pipes do not have the same quality control as a factory pipe, a pipe is still meant to be smoked. If they want you to only put it in your hand or show on a display stand, then they should have a label stating "No meant to be smoked" on it. 2 bowls is not even a break in.

Yes, be more careful with an artisan pipe but it still should stand up to normal wear and tear of its intended purpose. A pipe is a FUNCTIONAL piece of art.
They're not impervious to the user regardless of how they are made. The pitting on that stem and scrapes around the button look pretty rough.

tempImagefDxjuf.jpg

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I thought I heard or read that Tom Eltang specifically made more functional stems, rather than spend too much time on them to get them perfect for the purposes of replacement… because a pipe is meant to be smoked and when the stem wears out you should be able to replace it. Maybe I’m imagining things.