PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It looks like there is a thick pipe mud coating in this pipe—below the lip of the pipe, there appears to be a ridge, maybe 1–2 mm(?), and a lighter area is transitioning to the bottom of the chamber. The crack appears to be in the coating, not briar. Was this an estate pipe from smokingpipes? Maybe they didn’t remove a coating left by the previous owner.

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
It looks like there is a thick pipe mud coating in this pipe—below the lip of the pipe, there appears to be a ridge, maybe 1–2 mm(?), and a lighter area is transitioning to the bottom of the chamber. The crack appears to be in the coating, not briar. Was this an estate pipe from smokingpipes? Maybe they didn’t remove a coating left by the previous owner.
No, it was new. It definitely looks like it might be thicker on the side with the crack then on the opposite side. Maybe uneven Bowl coating, but can't tell for sure.

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
To me it looks like a crack in the bowl coating. I remove that crap with my Petersons and I had to use 200 grit sandpaper. If it was me I would remove the coating and restart the break in process.
If it is the coating, would I necessarily need to remove it or would cake fix it?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Is the wall (briar) thinner on the side with the cracked coating than the opposite side? It almost looks like the coating was intentionally made thicker on the side with the cracking to center the chamber. It's hard to tell what's going on from the single photo. I haven't bought that many new Peterson pipes. Are bowl coatings typically that thick?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
No but I played one on TV once lol! It's actually handle I've used that handle since my twenties, it's a character from the movie Mad Max and the thunderdome!
First I think it looks like the coating. But if it is in the pipe S.P. will make it right, unless they've changed a lot in the last few weeks. Haven't seen that movie in a long time, but loved it when I was a kid and should certainly check it out again. And finally you could have said actually it was totally by chance and then Rube Goldberged your way into falling out of a plane and finding out you're really good at it. You know just in case it comes up again.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
If it is the coating, would I necessarily need to remove it or would cake fix it?
the coating basically just protects the rare briar from over zealous smoking and unseen flaws. And the other thing is it helps start the cake process basically you could call it cake mix since that's what it does is turns into cake. The reason to remove the coating is also two fold. One the coating isn't really that great of a thing for a seasoned smoker (great thing for babies first pipe, good habits start young), but the other reason is to see the wood underneath and make sure it's not damaged.

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
You can definitely reach out to Customer Service (info@smokingpipes.com/ 888-366-0345). If I can be of any assistance, let me know.
Yeah I went ahead and contacted smoking pipes, I'm going to send the pipe back to him tomorrow so they can evaluate it for a refund. I waited so long for a b42 that I went ahead and picked up another one that just came in today LOL I'll leave it wrapped in the Box and if it doesn't go my way and they send the old one back I'll just send the new one back, can't afford two brand new pipes right this minute! And the wife will probably claw my eyes out anyway LOL

Reactions: David Wheelock

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
the coating basically just protects the rare briar from over zealous smoking and unseen flaws. And the other thing is it helps start the cake process basically you could call it cake mix since that's what it does is turns into cake. The reason to remove the coating is also two fold. One the coating isn't really that great of a thing for a seasoned smoker (great thing for babies first pipe, good habits start young), but the other reason is to see the wood underneath and make sure it's not damaged.
Never had an issue with the bowl Coating in my Peterson Pipes! They smoke pretty darn good right out of the box, which I can't say for a few other brands I have! They were so bad after the first half a pipe... I couldn't deal with that taste and I had to sand out the coating! Those Brands coatings were very loose, thin, and powdery, unlike the Peterson which seem very hard and grainy!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Never seen Peterson coating crack like that. At first I thought that was either cake or pipe mud. Since it was purchased new, let SP deal with it. Brand new pipe shouldn't show crack like that no matter what.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Never had an issue with the bowl Coating in my Peterson Pipes! They smoke pretty darn good right out of the box, which I can't say for a few other brands I have! They were so bad after the first half a pipe... I couldn't deal with that taste and I had to sand out the coating! Those Brands coatings were very loose, thin, and powdery, unlike the Peterson which seem very hard and grainy!
only have two petersons and they're both awesome pipes. The coating really doesn't bother me and I think it's better then risking having new smokers burnout a pipe or have a dramatically uneven cake. I noticed they both seem to make a more even cake then my other pipes. Nothing dramatic but....
Though lots of people hate the coatings.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I'm not sure, or rather I don't know the availability of this particular Peterson pipe, but if it ends up needing to be replaced, I should think SP would be on the look out for a replacement one for you. At the very least, you could make your request known to them.
Hope it works out OK for you.