PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
How do I tell if the stem is original or a replacement. I’m sure proper fit and even white dot could be replicated.
Yes, they can and often are replaced. On pipes that are decades old and show that they’ve been regularly smoked, it would be unusual not to find a replaced stem, in my opinion.

Reputable sellers, if knowledgeable should state so.

Reactions: Kspipe

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
How do I tell if the stem is original or a replacement. I’m sure proper fit and even white dot could be replicated.

If you can tell that a stem is a replacement, it is not, by definition, a replica. It's an approximation.

It is definitely possible to create a true replica replacement, but it is rarely done. (And when it is done, no one can tell, which creates a dog-chasing-it's-tail sort of situation)

Spotting a replacement is easy with experience, but difficult otherwise. Your best bet if curious about a pipe yourself is to post pics on this board.

Reactions: xrundog and Kspipe

MarkR

Lurker
Aug 10, 2024
My 67 billiard. It came with a dental bit, which I hated. A little work with some fine sanding fixed it. I realize that might be a bit sacrilegious, but I decided it's my pipe, why not. It's not in my regular rotation, but I like it a lot and is a great smoker
20240924_210719.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Slidell, LA
If you can tell that a stem is a replacement, it is not, by definition, a replica. It's an approximation.

It is definitely possible to create a true replica replacement, but it is rarely done. (And when it is done, no one can tell, which creates a dog-chasing-it's-tail sort of situation)

Spotting a replacement is easy with experience, but difficult otherwise. Your best bet if curious about a pipe yourself is to post pics on this board.
Hmmm. I know this guy on a pipe forum who made a new stem for my 1926 Dunhill Bruyere.
The only way I could tell the difference between the two was the chip in the bit of the original (If it was an original) stem.

Georged could probably tell the difference but then, he did the work.