Bill Taylor Ashton MAGNUM Gourd Calabash (Picture heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt knew Ashton also made calabash pipe. Here's one, bit pricey but really nice !!
It's on ebay so here is the link - https://www.ebay.com/itm/IGP-Exclusive-Rare-Estate-Bill-Taylor-Ashton-Magnum-Calabash-Pipe-Pipa/182876052009
YpFgEJd.jpg

etetNyq.jpg

1atCdkE.jpg

iwCSxY8.jpg

KpoJAk8.jpg

rF2KBdH.jpg

vBibcfZ.jpg

bAU9I2f.jpg

VHCl72S.jpg

K9HfE0W.jpg

4JjXDsE.jpg

Mv6kM88.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I have never heard of us-ayns as a seller of estate pipes. I wouldn't spend that much on a pipe unless it came from a very reputable source.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
I bought three of those direct from Bill back in the late 1990s for $125 or $150 each. One was for Old Geezer. I subsequently sold the other two. I imagine Bill bought the gourds and cups from Strambach in Austria, and then fitted the ferrule, silver band, and mouthpiece.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That a great remembrance Chilly! Those pix are interesting, red plaid shirt, brown leather gloves and yard equipment in the background, pretty distinctive.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A bit of interesting Wealthy People Psychology: The first wave of gourd pipes were rather small, not deeply bent, and had no silverwork. Each successive shipment got more upright, larger, and more silver-clad, though, as the design became increasingly fashionable among the upper-crusters who could afford them (they were much more expensive than a briar). By the time the trend/fad/fashion moved on to other things, 'bashers were enormous, like the one in this thread. Their absurd size probably contributed heavily (no pun intended) to their demise, in fact.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
kc, I have watched us-ayns's listings for years now. His prices are a joke. I have seen the same pipes for sale year after year.
Yup...same here. He's absolutely insane with some of his asking prices. Some of his prices seem to be in line with going rates, but some are just flat out ridiculous.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I think a Big Ben Calabash is roughlyb EUR200 new, so yeah ... this one is way out of the ball park price wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.