PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Shape of the pipe is not important. Width and depth are key. Go with what you like.
Smoke everything in a briar, a cob, and a clay. Different pipes can and will smoke differently.
Get a meerschaum. If you can, get a Morta.
Don't discount filters.
Toss the stingers.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Don't give up on a tobacco blend. If you don't like it at first jar it and revisit it later. Your palate will change or maybe more properly said develop. Also, as previously mentioned try each blend in different pipes. Enjoy.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Dry your tobacco! This times 1000!
The best thing I've done in the past 13 years to improve things, in my experience.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Take advice with a grain of salt.
What I've learned is that too loose is better than too tight. You can always tamp, but once you've cramped your pipe, you're better off starting over.
Tongue bite should be expected, explored, and hopefully, understood. Once understood, you can minimize its occurrence.
The hotter you smoke the less flavor you taste.
C&D bulks are less expensive than most brand name 14 oz. tins.
and finally, don't blow out your match with your pipe in your mouth.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I think what sablebrush said is very accurate and good advice to follow. As for some other things that I've learned:
1. There are plenty of pipe elitist and pipe snobs that are quick to judge, don't listen to them. Factory pipes and corn cob pipes are fine pipes too. You don't have to have Dunhill's and artisan pipes to have a good pipe.
2. There is usually more than one way to do something, and no one method is correct over another method. Use the method that works best for you and don't worry about what others think.
3. Pairing tobacco's with beverages. I've learned that smoking Virginia blends with hoppy beers is not a good mix for me. Finding a good pairing will enhance your pipe smoking and make it more enjoyable.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Smoking a pipe outside is only as enjoyable as the weather outside is. With that said, there's no such thing as bad weather, only not being prepared for the weather. ;)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Pairing a pipe to a blend can create magic, if it happens, don't think about, don't change a thing.
Keeping your pipes clean is a must. Nothing will ruin your smoking experience more than a dirty pipe.

Once you have settled on some blends you like, try dedicationg pipes to categories of blends, i.e Vaper pipe or English pipes, see how you like that.
Buy at least one high quality briar pipe. Break it in and then see how you like it. By quality I mean like a 125.00 or so Savinelli, Winslow Crown Series, Mastro de Paja. If you want to try an estate pipe buy from a trusted source like MKE-LAW pipes, Briar Blues, Smokingpipes. With estate pipes you can get a 300.00 or so pipe for 125 or so. Pipes like Castello, old Caminetto's(one of the finest smoking pipes on the estate market) Savinelli Estella's. Ask around here and maybe get some suggestions.
The most important thing you need to do is listen to my advice only, the rest of these bums don't know jack shit. :nana:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
There is a lot of wisdom on this page. All are good starting points to keep in mind. Now go out and challenge everything said here and make up your own mind.
Humidity (dryness), packing, breaking-in methods, cleaning schedules and methods, pipe sizes and shapes, tools - in fact, most things discussed semi-objectively on the forums are a matter of taste and preference.
And that is what I like most about smoking a pipe - taking my time and trying everything on my own. It doesn't mean I don't value the opinions and experience of others - they are invaluable and I love the camaraderie and debates. But I use that information to help me decide what methods, material,or tobacco I'll try next. My friends here influence my chosen experiences but no one dictates my tastes and preferences.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
1. I agree with another post about not disregarding OTC tobacco. The simplistic approach works, and there's a reason why they've been around for so long.
2. If you've spent lots of time on the pipe forums and have yet to try Penzance and Stonehaven, they'll never live up to the hype.
3. F**k Penzance and Stonehaven. :nana:
4. A well build cob may end up being one of your favorite pipes.
5. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

westhampipe

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Hide your bank card from yourself. Restraint restraint restraint. When in doubt think of your partner's face when they see you cleaning the new pipe. You can only hide it for so long.......

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Agreed with the advice on OTCs. I enjoy a pouch of Prince Albert or Carter Hall every now and then, especially when fortified with C&D's delicious Dark Burley. A good solid enjoyable smoke.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Less is more! Pipesmoking is an extremely enjoyable pastime/habit, online shopping for pipes & tobacco has never been easier, it's great fun but can become addictive. My father & grandfather went through life with half a dozen or so pipes between them, I have about 50-60 pipes & a shed load of baccy! Of the pipes & baccy I have, only 5% is in regular use, so beware your tastes & preferences will change.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Lighting the tobacco aggressively leads to a host of ills. :puffy:

I actually came here to say that. + one. You can ruin a whole days worth of smoking by aggressively lighting your tobacco. I always expect to have 3 good charring lights before my tobacco burns properly.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Pipe smoking is a form of meditation, especially the breathing. I've learned a lot, very little about pipes and tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.