PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toehead

Lurker
Jun 8, 2011
This is an interesting article with the Big Tobacco companies sueing the FDA over the new warning labels they have to put on the outside of cigarette packs and other types of tobacco.

I know many on this forum do not like cigarettes (I don't either) but it wont be long before it trickles down to pipe tobacco.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/41149590

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I like the post by "ITAL" after that article lol I'm not pretending to be an economist, but to think that someone that spends 500/mo on smokes is a burden on the economy... That is clearly excessive, but by the time he needs medical care he'll have pumped 150k into the economy before he develops any adverse effects(about 25 years) lol... I betcha he's got health insurance too! Feel free to call me an idiot too, cuz I am, and am open to being called wrong. What a concept aye?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I love the responses of "Their product is the only product that turns their consumers into addicts". Those people must have forgotten about that substance called alcohol. Surprised the tobacco companies aren't telling the FDA if they're gonna do this stuff to cigarettes they need to be less hypocritcal and do it to alcohol and fast food and all other consumables that cause health problems as well. The tobacco industry creates such huge revenues it's suprising they're still attacking the companies in times of such a horrible economy. I'd like to see the number of jobs and companies that would be lost and how it'd affect the American and International economies if they were forced to stop selling.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Spartan, you might find the numbers up here in Canada to be somewhat telling when it comes to tobacco consumption - and remember, our healthcare is fully subsidized by our government (and our taxes reflect this).
Last year, the Canadian Government took in roughly $5.75 billion dollars in tobacco tax. This doesn't include the 7% GST which is paid on-top of said tobacco tax, either...just the initial federal excise tax.

Health Canada reports that tobacco related illness cost the nation $12 billion last year. But hold on - only $3 billion of this is actually accounted for as real cost to the health-care system. The other $9 billion? Why, thats chalked up to lost productivity...aka a BS number that the anti's can't actually quantify.
Of course, no one reports this breakdown, but rather the final number; misinformation is a wonderful thing. Just ask Kim Jong Il.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
In my opinion politicians aren't being honest about smoking and have no credibility.They should have no authority to treat me like a child.I can determine for myself what is and isn't good for me.They also shouldn't have authority to pass stupid smoking bans that in my opion aren't even constitutional.They lump all forms of smoking together as a life threatening activity.Those of us who are smarter than they give us credit for being know that just isn't true.I don't uphold cigarette smoking or the folks who market them.But on this particular Uncle Sam has the big head and I hope he gets put back in his place.

Jul 15, 2011
I think I have to side with puffy on this one. I would think that as adults, cigarette smokers would be aware of the fact that a substance that you light on fire and then inhale the smoke from said fire straight into your lungs several times a day is probably not the healthiest thing that you can do. While we are still puffing smoke, and while it is still not healthy by any stretch, we are being a little more responsible and a little smarter about the way we handle things. If the government wanted to try and regulate everything that was bad for you, they should also shut down fast food restaurant chains, close all the nuclear power plants, and while were at it, find a way to shield us entirely from the sun. If you believe the hype, everything is bad for you in this day and age. Let the consumer make up their own mind.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
In my opinion politicians aren't being honest about smoking and have no credibility.They should have no authority to treat me like a child.I can determine for myself what is and isn't good for me.They also shouldn't have authority to pass stupid smoking bans that in my opion aren't even constitutional.They lump all forms of smoking together as a life threatening activity.Those of us who are smarter than they give us credit for being know that just isn't true.I don't uphold cigarette smoking or the folks who market them.But on this particular Uncle Sam has the big head and I hope he gets put back in his place.
Well said, Puffy!

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
Politicians are always blowing smoke out of their ______ !

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
About time! Now there is talk about ALL tobacco products being locked up and stored out of sight. The FDA wants store owners to show customers only black and white photos of the packaging/products and choose from that. It gets more absurd every day.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I believe in honest politicians. The Tooth Fairy. Santa Clause. The Easter Bunny and UFOs , Well the honest politicians I will admit are purely mythical.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I think obesity is more of a health concern than tobacco use in moderation. I DON'T WANT CONGRESS TO REGULATE CORNBEEF HASH AND OTHER FATTY FOOD! Just let us make our decisions.
Winton

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Winton, You got that one, and as politicians go I will not let them shake My hand, I don't like the smell of s--t on My hands. One more thing, if smoke is that bad then when they get in the car best not turn the key to start it.

Status
Not open for further replies.